Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Planning Board Minutes 05152013

P.O. BOX 602
(508) 696-4270
Fax (508) 696-7341


DATE:           May 15, 2013
TIME:                   7:01 PM

PLACE:          Town Hall Annex

ATTENDANCE:     Aldrin, Seidman, Stephenson, Thompson and Doble
ABSENT:         Peak

BILLS:          Verizon……………………..$53.70

MINUTES:                As referred in the, 2013 Meeting Agenda
                        01 May 2013     M/S/C           4/0/0


1.  Craig Coutinho
RE: Form A Application, AP 07A02

Mssrs. Stephenson, Peak and Aldrin had independently inspected the improvements to the road. Both Mr. Seidman and Mr. Thompson confirmed that they were unable to inspect the road.

Mr. Seidman recalled that the Planning Board advised the applicant’s surveyor that they did not have issues with the proposal. They decided to postpone the plan’s endorsement until the applicant improved the road. Mrs. Doble inquired if Mr. Stephenson found the improvements adequate. Mr. Stephenson replied in the affirmative, adding that in a conversation with Mr. Peak, he concurred.

There being no further comment, Mr. Stephenson moved to endorse the Form A Plan submitted by Mr. Douglas Hoehn for the applicant, Craig Coutinho as an ANR,  under the Subdivision Control Law.  Mr. Seidman seconded the motion, which motion carried.  4/0/0

2. The Black Dog & Steamship Authority Gateway to the Harborwalk

Mr. Stephenson reported that David Montambault, the Black Dog’s property manager had contacted the Steamship Authority to discuss the installation of the gate. The recent activity was the result of the discussions he and Mr. Peak had with Mr. Robert Douglas, Jr., Mr. Balco and staff members at the Steamship Authority. The one issue that remained for additional discussion was the location of the gate. Mr. Stephenson hoped they could all meet tomorrow and agree on a location. Mrs. Loberg inquired if they planned to provide signage to let people know about the gate and the new path from the gate to Beach Road Extension. Mr. Stephenson admitted that they did not discuss any signage, but intended to raise the subject at the meeting.

3. Stop & Shop
RE: May 7, 2013 presentation at the Board of Selectmen’s Meeting

Mr. Stephenson met with Messrs. London, Veno and Foley to discuss the Stop & Shop’s proposal. He noted that the applicant had not made significant changes to the initial proposal. The few that have been submitted were minor in nature.

The one issue many people have repeatedly asked of the applicant was to provide a 3D scaled model of the building within the context of the neighborhood. The MV Commission offered to help the applicant with the request and has sent them a computer generated model of the area, so that they could add the building.  

Mr. Stephenson reported that the applicant submitted suggestions to re-organize the parking lot to alter the travel flow. He noted that he was not particularly in favor of the recommendations, and did not think it should be entertained.

He understood that Messrs. Peak and London met with the traffic consultant the previous week to review the applicant’s traffic analysis. The consultant found that the estimates provided by the applicant for the store’s traffic impact during the summer were too low. The MV Commission in turn asked the applicant to recalculate the amount of the traffic’s impact to provide them with a more realistic projection.

Mr. Stephenson mentioned that he wanted to meet with the Town Administrator for a progress report on the Board of Selectmen’s discussions with the Stop & Shop representatives. He thought the Planning Board and Board of Selectmen should get together at a joint meeting to discuss their views. He thought it important to know if they agreed or disagreed, and to what extent they agreed or disagreed with the Planning Board. It was important to work out any differences, and come prepared to comment on the proposal.

Messrs. Stephenson and Peak were interested in meeting with Mr. Charles Sullivan, the applicant’s local architect to solicit information about the level of his involvement, his role in the process and his impressions.

Mrs. Doyle heard Mr. Sullivan did not receive the correspondence the Planning Board had sent to the MV Commission, and the applicant. The Board Secretary acknowledged the oversight, and advised the board members that the letter had been mailed to his office.

Mrs. Doble was concerned that the applicant failed to see or understand the significance of the store’s views to the harbor, and vice-versa. The location was very unique and special given its proximity to the harbor, the SSA and business community. She found it difficult to understand why the architect did not produce a design that took advantage of the incredible pedestrian traffic.

Mrs. Doble noted that she found a volumes of information online about urban designs for grocery stores. Of particular interest were the three or four stores that relocated to urban communities and broke away from the traditional mold in favor of designs that complemented the urban communities. She felt the applicant’s building design suited the suburbs with low density.

Mr. Stephenson understood that they’ve been instructed to design a building for a small village. He agreed that Vineyard Haven was not rural or suburban.

Mr. Stephenson asked the Planning Board members if they should hold a joint meeting with the Board of Selectmen to solicit their impressions.  Mr. Seidman notified the Board members that the MV Commission had scheduled the applicant’s hearing within a couple of weeks.

Mrs. Loberg inquired about the Planning Board’s scope of address. Mr. Seidman explained that the applicant was not subject to a permit from the Planning Board because it was within the BI District. It was a permitted use. It was all within the hands of the MV Commission.  Mrs. Loberg thought the Water Street Parking Lot gave the town some leverage.

Additional discussions ensued with this regard, and the Board members did not express any issues or objections to a joint meeting with the Board of Selectmen. Board members were to be polled on a date. Once the date was confirmed the Board Secretary was to invite Mr. Grande and the Board of Selectmen.

4. Zoning Bylaw Amendments
RE: Recommendations for Mr. London and Ms. Flynn

Mr. London wanted to meet with Mr. Stephenson to discuss the bylaw amendments the Planning Board wanted to pursue before he met with the board members, because he wanted to prepare his materials prior to the date of the meeting.

5. High School Student’s presentation on Tisbury’s Walkability Study

Mrs. Doble informed the Board that the audit was performed earlier in the day. The high school students that had participated in the study were preparing to present their results on May 21, 2013 at 11A-12:45P or May 24, 2013 at 8A – 9:20A.

Peg Regan, the project coordinator was inviting the Planning Board to the presentation, and asked Mrs. Doble to poll the members. Mrs. Doble asked the Board if they would be available to attend the presentation, and if they had a preference.

Mr. Stephenson expressed an interest in attending, but could not select a date until he checked his calendar. Mr. Seidman also expressed an interest in attending and preferred the later hour.  Messrs. Aldrin and Thompson could not attend either session, as both individuals worked during the day.


1.  Nelson W. Smith, Vineyard Land Surveying & Engineering
RE: Olympic Trust - Chapter 91 waterways License Application (Notice of Intent)

2. Lester B. Smith Jr. for Comcast North Central Division & NStar Electric Company
RE: Chapter 91 License Application for a submarine cable/Vineyard Sound

Mrs. Loberg  informed the board members that the  Board of Selectmen from each town  were to shortly receive a letter asking them to correspond with NStar and Comcast to reiterate a request to dedicate two fiber optic wires for public use. The dedicated cables would allow them to connect with the municipal governments all over the cape

3. Tisbury Board of Appeals
A. Special Permit # 2139 – Eleanor White, AP 31A6.1 (an addition w/in Shore Zone)
B. Special Permit # 2140 – Stina Sayre Design, AP 07F23 (activity outside building)
C. Special Permit # 2141 – Jenik Munafo, AP 23A21 (outdoor seating)

4. Martha’s Vineyard Commission
A. 10 May 2013 Extended Schedule
B. 16 May 2013 Meeting Agenda

5. Reuter Thomson
RE: Zoning Bulletin, 25 April 2013

6. Massachusetts Municipal Association
RE: TheBeacon, May2013

PRO FORM        Meeting opened, conducted and closed in due form at 8:00 P.M.           (m/s/c  4/0/0)          
Respectfully submitted;
Patricia V. Harris_______________________ __
Patricia V. Harris, Secretary

APPROVAL:       Approved and accepted as official minutes;

______________  _________________________
Date                    Henry Stephenson