Skip Navigation
Click to return to website
This table is used for column layout.
Bicentennial Committee Minutes 09/30/2009
Date:   Wednesday, September 30, 2009           Time:   7:00 p.m.
Location:       Asa Waters Mansion, Millbury


Committee Members Present
Cynthia Burr
Carole Chiras
David Cofske
Roger Derosiers
Paul DiCicco
Jeffrey Dore
Catherine Elliott
Frank Gagliardi
Karen Gagliardi
William Kane, Sr.
Denise Marlborough
Robert Morton
Mary Lou Mulhane
Joyce Ostrowski
Paul Raffa
Jamie Rembiszewski
Christopher Sinacola
Carol Vulter
Lynn Winston

Guests Present
Edd Cote                                Chris Brousseau

Committee Members Absent
Marc Auclair
Tish Hayes
Ronald Marlborough
E. Joseph McKeon
Harold Proodian
Rebecca Rehm
Armand White


Agenda Item I – Reorganization
Chairman Kane opened the meeting at 700 p.m. with 20 people present including 18 members.  

Chairman Desrosiers advised that as a town appointed board, we have to reorganize each fiscal year per the Town Clerk’s Office.  

Motion: Jeff Dore moved to allow existing structure to remain, seconded by Paul DiCicco.
Vote: All in favor, none opposed, no discussion.  Motion approved 18-0.  
For the record:  Co-Chairmen - Roger Desrosiers and Bill Kane; Treasurer - Joyce Ostrowski; Clerk – Rebecca Rehm

Agenda Item II – Approval of Minutes from August 26th meeting
Motion: Frank Gagliardi moved to accept the minutes, seconded by Jeff Dore.
Vote: All in favor, none opposed, no discussion.  Motion approved 18-0.  

Agenda Item III – Treasurer’s Report
• Three invoices were signed for payment by the Executive Committee in their 6:15 p.m. meeting:  $305.00 to Braley & Wellington for 1 day liquor liability; $55.00 to Lori Greschler for blue raffle tickets for wine tasting event; $43.14 to Universal Tag, Inc. for wine tasting admission tickets.
• The MBC has secured a Food Permit at no cost which is valid for one calendar year.
• A donation of $125.00 was received from Matt Corey, owner of Sport Clips.
• Rob Morton suggested a quarterly P&L statement and going forward, a paper report to itemize for a monthly tally.  Joyce will speak with the town’s Finance Director Brian Turbitt about creating templates; Rob offered his assistance as well.

Agenda Item IV – Updates and reminders:  None

Agenda Item V- Committee Reports
Finance/Fundraising Committee Report
• Rob will develop a paper report to distribute to the board.
• Wine Tasting – We will be well within the $1400 budget that was voted on; 40 tickets have been either sold or committed to be bought.  We will need volunteers for the event.  
• If the sub-com gets an independent person/company, Ray’s True Value will shepherd the commemorative sale piece; the store has established a system to accept credit and debit cards.
• We need to finalize the product mix – Mike McGovern will build high-end display case for Ray’s to house the items; it will be in a prominent area by the door.  Paul Raffa is working with Vallaincourt Folk Art on items; Frank Morrill may be approached for wooden cut-outs and framed illustrations of old maps and picture of the town.  The first item will be glassware from Vallaincourts - they use etchings on item not printing so it will last forever. The sub-com is thinking of a “Christmas in July” next year to roll out the Bicentennial Santas.  
•The subcommittee meets the 1st Wednesday of every month.
•Capital budget – Paul is leading the commemorative products; Rob is focusing on the capital fund campaign.   The Events sub-com developed a preliminary budget of around $250,000.
(Karen Gagliardi arrived at 7:20 p.m., making 19 members present.  )
•Donation cans update – Paul DiCicco reported that the first wave of collections netted $144.61.
•Golf tournament – We will get into the heavy planning in January; Paul D is doing networking and getting commitments from sponsors etc.
•Roger stated that the legwork for the promotion items is being done at the Finance/Fundraising
level; the nuts and bolts are discussed at those sub-com meetings not discussed at the full board meetings.  If you have specific ideas re: promo and/or funding go to those meetings and express yourself.  Roger suggested if at the next sub-com meeting in October, if some promo items are agreed upon, bring them forward to the full board meeting on the 21st.  

Media Committee Report:
• A meeting was held on September 29th; the website, Facebook, and getting the word out was discussed.  Paul displayed the current website via his computer and a projector for all to see.
•Every sub-committee has its own page on the website and each chair will be able to upload info onto his/her sub-com page. Upcoming events are highlighted.  There are sections for donations, volunteering and suggestions.
• The website is linked to Facebook which is a social networking site, but businesses are allowed to post to Facebook.  One main part of Facebook is blogging and a few committee members have access and post as user name MBC instead of using individual name. Our Facebook page has over 300 “friends.”
• Paul introduced Chris Brousseau, a new subcommittee member, who is helping to get networking capability on the millbury2013 webpage.  Chris said that his goal is to make it a central hub about MBC but also a presence for us as a committee to have information at hand – a central access point for the committee.
• Cyndi Burr said we need a calendar online for events to be out there for the public so others won’t schedule events over us, i.e. Parade, Ball.
• Carole Chiras recognized Paul Raffa’s recent award, the “40 Under 40” Young Entrepreneurs by the Worcester Business Journal.   
• Sub-com will be posting Chris Sinacola’s old Worcester Telegram articles regarding Millbury to the website.

Events Committee Report:
Preliminary budget and some finalized dates:
• Classical Concert  6/16/2012 – budget $40,000 - Massachusetts Symphony Orchestra – event chairs are Bill Kane and Lynn Winston (the High School is the back-up rain location)
• Semi-formal ball at Mechanics Hall  4/6/2013 – budget $49,500 - event chairs are Armand White and Matt Mulhane
• Parade  6/16/2013 - budget $80,500 - event chairs are Ron Marlborough and Bill Kane
• Fireworks and Birthday Party  7/4/2013 - budget $32,000  - event chairs are Ron and Bill
These are the 4 BIG events total of $202,000– the sub-com still thinking about a balloon festival.
• War reenactment ~October 2012 – Paul R is doing research; chairs are Paul R and Rob Morton.
• Golf tournament is scheduled for 6/13/2011.

History Committee Report:
• A meeting was held on 9/15 with 16 people including 6 new people; the sub-com received 3 volunteer applications at Block Party.
• Ideas were broken up into projects; the foremost is Karen Gagliardi’s book reproduction.  If someone inquires about placing an order, we submit an order once 5+ books are ordered then there is an approximate 4 week turnaround.  Five members ordered books to be used for display.
• Carole and Mary Lou Mulhane are looking for a location to display memorabilia; the Worcester Telegram interviewed them about collecting pictures and historical artifacts.
• Frank Gagliardi stated there is a need to develop a Bicentennial program/calendar projecting 3-4 years ahead even with tentative dates.  Denise Marlborough will start the calendar.
• Carole is photocopying pictures for Chris to select for his book.
• Edd Cote is researching publishing companies for a “Day in the Life” book; he met with Dunn & Co. in Clinton.  Edd will collect data and present it to the Executive Committee.  Roger noted that depending on the cost this may have to be a bid process.  Edd requested permission to use the MBC name; the board told him to join the committee, which he will do on Wednesday.
• Carole met with history educators at the school (7th grade and up).
Agenda Item VI – Old Business:
• Firemen’s Muster August 29th – Thank you to the members in attendance:   Chris Sinacola, Joe McKeon, Armand White.
• Block Party September 19th – Thank you to the members in attendance: Cyndi Burr, Carole Chiras, Joyce Ostrowski, Rebecca Rehm, Jamie Rembiszewski (who brought lolipops to attract people to our table!), and Armand White, and also to Roger and Claudette Desrosiers.  We had a reproduction book on display and advertising for the wine tasting, with tickets available for sale.  Curves offered a discounted membership for the wine tasting raffle.  Karen Gagliardi will be donating to the raffle.  Joyce suggested that in the future we get someone to chair any type of tabling event where we are simply getting our name out to the public.

Agenda Item VII – New Business:
• Motion: Jeff Dore moved to allow Armand White to house the committee property, seconded by Lynn Winston.   He will be our “property manager”.
Vote: All in favor, none opposed.  Motion approved 19-0.  

• Motion: Paul DiCicco moved to combine the November/December meetings to Wednesday December 2, 2009, seconded by Chris Sinacola.
Vote: All in favor, none opposed.  Motion approved 19-0.  

Agenda VIII – Next meeting: Wed. Oct. 21, 2009 at 7:00 p.m. at the Asa Waters Mansion

Agenda Addition Items –
• Chain of Lights – Discussion about having a presence at the Chain of Lights on Sunday December 6th, with or without products for sale.  Locations discussed were Senior Center, the hub of the events, or the craft fair at the High School.  Paul R will have product samples and a poster board at the 10/21 meeting.  Karen will purchase and donate a book for the Friends of the Asa Waters Mansion raffle.  If interested in manning the table, contact the chairmen.
• Lyceum – Roger believes that our festivities must promote the Lyceum; the first American Lyceum was founded in Millbury in 1826 by Josiah Holbrook!
• Roger requested permission to investigate the possibility of a grand scale reunion and would like to speak with the heads of the classes who are planning class reunions.  Paul D suggested the name “Native Alumni Reunion”.  Chris will find out who ran Sutton’s Ultimate High School Reunion and what was involved.  The committee agreed that this is a good idea.

Agenda Item IX – Adjournment:
Motion: Paul DiCicco moved to adjourn the meeting at 8:48 p.m., seconded by Karen Gagliardi.
Vote: All in favor, none opposed.  Motion approved 19-0.  

Respectfully submitted,

Joyce Ostrowski, Treasurer