Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Harbor Management Commission Minutes 10/11/2016
Meeting Minutes
The Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission
October 11, 2016


Regular Members Present:  Bob Doyen, Ned Farman, George Finley, Bill Harris, Michael Magee,
Jeff Meinke (alternate), Harry Plaut (ex-officio), Steve Ross

Absent: Robert Falaguerra, John MacDonald, Mike Mackey (ex-officio), Tom Meyer

Guests:  Michael Moran

Chairman Steve Ross called the meeting to order at 7:02 PM.  

Jeff Meinke was seated for John MacDonald.

a.       Clerks Report:  Approval of Minutes
Ned Farman moved to accept the minutes of Regular Meeting September 13, 2016 and Mike Magee seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

b.      Correspondence
There was no correspondence.

c.       Treasurer’s Report:  Approval of Report for September 2016  
Bill Harris presented the Treasurer’s Report for September 2016.  
Beginning Balance:  $22,643.77, Interest / Dividends $7.40, Receipts $0, Disbursements: $125.00, Ending Balance $22,526.17.  The Treasurer’s Report was accepted.

a.       Member Appointments
There are two current openings for alternate members
The Commission welcomed new alternate member Jeffrey Meinke.

b.      Pilgrim Landing – Mike Magee
Mike Magee reported that the racks look good but the kayaks are a bit of an issue because of their longer length.  Next year there will be instruction for people to identify their boats with at least writing their last name on their boat.  Mike will follow up with Bonnie to further discuss Public Works cleaning up the area on a scheduled plan.  

Jeff Meinke suggested making adjustments for the placement of kayaks on the racks.  Mike Magee explained that the racks are at the property edge as it is, but he will look into getting permission for using a bit of property to the south.  The Commission was in agreement.

c.      Dinghy Dock – Mike Mackey
Mike Mackey was not in attendance to give a report.  Steve Ross stated that the dock should be removed soon.  

d.      Potential Public Access Site West Bank of Lt. River and Halls Road
Foot bridge across Lt. River - John MacDonald liaison with Halls Improvement Committee
Status of ways to obtain funding for platform and walkway

Steve Ross reported that Bonnie Reemsnyder had drafted a letter to the DEEP Commissioner asking for information on how to apply for funding for the proposed ADA accessible walkway and platform.  The letter was reviewed by Steve and Ned Farman and went out today.  Two funding opportunities are being looked at:  the DEEP Long Island Sound License Plate Fund and the Port Authority Project List of which the project has already been placed on.

PUBLIC COMMENT was moved to this point in the agenda:
Mike Moran (former Harbormaster) stated that until recently he had not been aware that he owed money for a mooring.  He presented a check for $25.  He had been under the impression that former Harbormasters were exempt from fees.  Steve Ross presented his research and concluded that only acting members of the HMC could have their permit fee waived.  He could not find a provision that granted this perk to a member of the Commission that was no longer on the Commission.  This item will be revisited and discussed at a future meeting.

Mike Moran inquired as to where the placement of the Town moorings are as he could not locate them.  Harry Plaut stated that they are in the CT River in the channel heading toward Binney Road.  Harry Plaut will look tomorrow and report back on this.

Mike Moran would like the Commission to consider placing a dock at Pilgrim Landing.  The landing is getting lots of use and some type of a dock would be helpful and safer for the people who use Pilgrim Landing for boating. Steve Ross stated that this had been looked at in the past and DEEP squashed the plan.  The Commission members felt that this would be a great project to consider again.  Steve Ross will do some research and get back to the Commission at a future meeting.  Mike Magee suggested asking Docko for advice.

Harbor Master Report Harry Plaut and Mike Mackey
a.      Status of moorings unclaimed that were pulled in 2013-14 (6 available to sell)
This remains the same.  There was a discussion and it was decided to place these moorings for sale on the Town Website and the Beach Associations’ websites.  A suggestion was made to place them on Craig’s List.  Harry Plaut will forward the list of moorings to George Finley.

b.      Harbor Master recap of activity since last meeting – Harry Plaut
Harry Plaut reported that at the end of September, he had given a presentation to members of Point O’Woods regarding rules and regulations pertaining to moorings, swim lines, kayaking, paddleboards, canoes, etc. and on September 24 there was a regatta in the Sound that as Harbormaster he was notified of and was prepared for.  All went well.  
Harry Plaut presented a letter from DEEP, dated August 23, 2016 informing of the transfer of  “ the subject and control of harbormasters from the DOT to DEEP”.

c.      Stickers to identify permit holders using racks at Pilgrim Landing next year – Harry Plaut
Not discussed as it was decided earlier in the agenda to ask permit holders to put their name on their boat.

Applications for Docks, etc.
a.      Consent Order for Black Hall Outfitters – status
Steve Ross stated that he had spoken with Kevin Zawoy at DEEP today regarding this matter.  To date nothing has happened.  They discussed the whole issue and Steve had pointed out to him that this is a violation of a dredging permit and the DEEP has done nothing about it.  There is a good chance that Sue Bailey will take this over in the near future.  Steve felt that having Sue Bailey in this position would be a good thing for the Town.
b.      Consultation Form for Walkway – Robert Doyen, 7 Devitt Road   
This form was sent to Docko a month ago and to date no response has been received by Robert Doyen.  Steve Ross presented what was given to Docko to submit with the application.  The HMC had given full support of this project as it meets all local regulations and the Harbor Management Plan.

c.      DEEP approvals – Caulfield COP on Duck River, Galante walkway at 15 Smith Neck Road
Steve Ross reported that both these projects were approved by the DEEP.

d.      Correction to map of Harbor Use Zone (HUZ) for Duck River
Sue Bailey of DEEP had pointed out during the Caulfield application that the Town Map that shows the Harbor Use Zones in the Duck River area needed a correction.  Steve Ross moved to note that the map for Duck River Harbor Use Zone needs to be corrected to show the full zone up to McCurdy Road.  This is not new – it is a correction.  Ned Farman seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

e.      Revised wording of Mooring Inspection Information on the Town Website
Steve Ross had corrected the wording on the Mooring Inspection Information on the Town Website.  He presented the correct wording to the Commission and it was reviewed.  

Steve Ross stated that at the next meeting agenda he will include:
Discussion of installing a dock at Pilgrim Landing
Discussion regarding waiving permit fees for former members and Harbor Masters

George Finley reported that the construction had begun on Sheffield Brook on the lower part.  The upper part will start in the spring.  

This was done earlier in the agenda.

There was a discussion about having the next meeting on Election Day.  It was decided to have the meeting as planned.  Ned Farman would not be able to attend as he will be working at the election.  

The next meeting of the Harbor Management Commission will be on November 8, 2016.

Bill Harris inquired if there was still a Connecticut Harbor Management Association as he had not paid a yearly fee recently.  Ned Farman stated that there is one, and it is not as active as it used to be, although he wishes it were.  Harry Plaut would like to see more consistency with rules and regulations in the towns.

Bob Doyen moved and Mike Magee seconded to adjourn the meeting at 8:00 PM.

Submitted by,

Mary Ellen Garbarino