Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Harbor Management Commission Minutes 09/13/2016 Unapproved
Meeting Minutes
The Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission
September 13, 2016


Regular Members Present:  Bob Doyen, Robert Falaguerra, Ned Farman, George Finley, Bill Harris, John MacDonald, Mike Mackey (ex-officio), Michael Magee, Tom Meyer, Harry Plaut (ex-officio),
Steve Ross

Absent: Jeff Meinke (alternate)

Guests:  Keith Neilson (Docko)

Chairman Steve Ross called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.  

a.       Clerks Report:  Approval of Minutes
Steve Ross moved to accept the minutes of Regular Meeting July 12, 2016 and Mike Magee seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

b.      Correspondence
COP for Old Colony Beach Club Association – Sheffield Brook Project
Steve Ross reported that he had received a COP from the DEEP for Old Colony Beach Club Association for the Sheffield Brook Project.  George Finley reported that bids were received and will be announced later this week.  The project, which includes the lower part, should start at the end of the month.  The upper part will not start until next spring.

Email from John Pinto – Lt. River Project on list for Port Authority Projects
Steve Ross reported that he had received an email from John Pinto of the CT Harbormaster’s Association looking for communities to submit a list of projects to the Port Authority for funding.  The Walkway / Platform Lt. River Project was submitted.  Steve was informed that this project is on the final list that went to the Port Authority.  

c.       Treasurer’s Report:  Approval of Report for July and August 2016  
Bill Harris presented the Treasurer’s Report for July and August 2016.  
Beginning Balance:  $21,274.54, Interest / Dividends $14.93, Receipts $1,875.00, Disbursements: $0, Ending Balance $22,643.77
The Treasurer’s Report was accepted.

d.      Discussion of Permit Application for Robert Doyen – Docko (Keith Neilson)
Bob Doyen was recused from the discussion as an HMC member, but could comment as a guest.
Keith Neilson gave a presentation on a plan to create a 300+ foot walkway across the tidal marsh at the home of Robert Doyen, 7 Devitt Road.  There were two plans for the walkway, one being a straight shot and the other with a zigzag.  Commission Members all felt that the proposed walkway would be better for the environment than walking through the grass, and preferred the plan that was a straight shot.  
Steve Ross moved that the HMC will indicate on the Consultation Form that they have no objection to this application, and feel that it is reasonable to have a walkway, and that the walkway will prevent foot traffic damage to the marsh, and taking the straight route (which avoids the mosquito ditch) will prevent construction impact and long-term loss of the ability to maintain the ditch.  Robert Falaguerra seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

e.      Discussion of Permit Application for Chris Caulfield – Docko (Keith Neilson)
Keith Neilson gave a presentation regarding a COP to retain and modify an existing dock on the Duck River just south of McCurdy Road on the Caulfield property.  There was a discussion.  Steve Ross moved to approve the Consultation Form for this project with the following conditions:  No part of the boat lift is higher than the railings and if lifts are not allowed in the regulations, that it would be approved without the lift. John MacDonald seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

a.       Member Appointments
Two current openings for Alternate Members
Welcome new member – Jeffrey Meinke

b.      Pilgrim Landing – Mike Magee
Mike Magee reported that the landing is in good condition.  There is a gully from rain washout and he will ask Public Works to take care of this in the spring.  On July 25 Mike Magee sent a letter to First Selectwoman Reemsnyder signed by him, Ned and Steve requesting that Public Works do maintenance 4 times yearly (Memorial Day through September) to the landing.  To date there has been no response to the letter.  Mike will follow up with Bonnie.  

There were three boats that Harry Plaut put a sticker on, and to date two of the boats are gone and one remains.  Harry Plaut knows of someone who would like the remaining boat and he will take care of this.

c.      Dinghy Dock – Mike Mackey
The Dinghy Dock is in great condition and getting lots of use.

d.      Potential Public Access Site West Bank of Lt. River and Halls Road
This was discussed under Correspondence with regard to request to the Port Authority for funding.

Foot bridge across Lt. River - John MacDonald liaison with Halls Improvement Committee
John MacDonald will follow up with the Halls Road Improvement Committee.  

Discuss proposals requested for walkway & platform received from Docko & Coastline

Update on approach for obtaining funding for Platform and Walkway
Steve Ross will check with First Selectwoman Reemsnyder about drafting the letter to the Commissioner of the DEEP asking about LIS funding.  


a.      Harbor Master Report Harry Plaut and Mike Mackey
Status of moorings unclaimed that were pulled in 2013-14 (6 available to sell)
This remains the same.

List of anchor size, tackle and type of float for each of the 6 above – Harry Plaut
Harry Plaut prepared a list and will give to Steve Ross.  Steve would like to put these on Craigs List in the spring.

Harbor Master recap of activity since last meeting – Harry Plaut
Harry Plaut reported that he had tagged six moorings with three being over by Point O’Woods, one by Garvins and two between Sound View and Old Colony.  One mooring was owned by someone who is now deceased.  This will be removed.  The others were being used, but were not permitted.  They have been removed.  He reported on an incident at White Sand Beach where a resident claims her son was scratched by a mushroom anchor in the water.  The local police issued a ticket via a formal complaint from Harry regarding JetSkis being tied on lines at Sound View.  Harry reported that as of July 1 the DOT transferred  all Harbor Masters to the DEEP.

Status of 2016 mooring applications and inspection reports – Mike Mackey
Mike Mackey reported that many mooring inspection reports are missing.  Harry Plaut will coordinate with Mike on this matter by first reviewing the list and speaking with the inspectors who have inspected these moorings in the past.  Letters may have to go out to the owners in the future.

Stickers to identify permit holders using racks at Pilgrim Landing for next year – Harry Plaut
This was tabled.

George Finley presented a Diagram of the Mooring Fields for Long Island Sound that he created.  

Applications for Docks, etc.
a.      Consent Order for Black Hall Outfitters – status unknown
Steve Ross reported that according to Kevin Zawoy at DEEP, the consent order has not been signed and no action has been taken.  Steve will stay on top of this.  
b.      Permit Application and Consultation Form for Walkway Robert Doyen, 7 Devitt Road        
This item was discussed earlier in the Agenda.

c.      Next meeting
The next meeting of the Harbor Management Commission will be on October 11, 2016.  This will be held in the basement level of Town Hall in the small meeting room.


John MacDonald moved and Ned Farman seconded to adjourn the meeting at 8:25 PM.

Submitted by,

Mary Ellen Garbarino