Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Harbor Management Commission Minutes 06/08/2010
Minutes of a Meeting of
The Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission
June 8, 2010

Members presentCharlie Delinks, Ned Farman, Dave Frederiks, Bill Harris, Jon Mittelman, Mike Moran, Steve Ross, Dave Zita.
Absent – Bob Doyen, Robert Falaguerra, Mike Mackey, Mike Magee.

A quorum being present, Chairman Ross called the meeting to order at 7:30 PM.

Clerk’s Report
The minutes of the previous meeting were reviewed and accepted as submitted.

Steve Ross noted a correspondence from the DEP offering a request for proposal under the boating infrastructure grant program administered by Dept. of Interior/US Fish and Wildlife Service. Ned Farman will review to see if it can apply to the dredging effort.  Jon Mittelman reported that the Town has a student grant writer that may be a useful asset with any projects that require grant writing.
Jon also noted another correspondence from the Long Island Sound Assembly of their report/minutes to the State General Assembly. The report from their recent meeting in New London can be read in full at  

Treasurer’s Report
Jon Mittelman presented the Treasurer’s report, which was accepted for audit.  A copy of the report is on file with the minutes.

Member Appointments
Steve Ross encouraged members to seek residents that would be interested in filling the two vacancies for Alternate Member positions.

Pilgrim Landing
Mike Moran reported that he will remove some driftwood that had beached on Pilgrim Landing. He noted that the racks were in good condition and that Public Works was not needed at present to perform any tasks at the site.

Dinghy Dock
Mike Moran reported that the dinghy dock is installed and the gate is unlocked. Mike Mackey has ordered parts for specific repairs but that the cleats are in good condition.

CRERPA Questionnaire
Steve Ross reported that he hand delivered the Members’ completed questionnaires to Margo Burns who appreciated the HMC’s input.

Mooring Anchors
Bob Doyen had communicated to Steve Ross that the Subcommittee feels that changes could be made to the Harbor Management Plan to allow various commercially proven mooring systems. Members discussed the merits of alternative mooring systems.  Steve reiterated that the Commission is receptive to alternative anchors but before approving the alternatives, the members need substantive data which the subcommittee is going to get upon which to base decisions.  The agenda item was tabled until next month.

Harbor Master
Mike Moran reported that most of the mooring fees have been returned. Frank Maratta has six unpaid moorings and they will be removed unless paid for shortly.  Mike had received a check from Old Lyme Marina for their moorings.
Mike reported that one of the Town Moorings had received ice damage but both have been repaired and reset.  He will try to pull the mushrooms next winter, weather permitting.

Harbor Management Plan
Dave Zita reported that he emailed his completed revision of the Harbor Management Plan to members to review. He listed the remaining items that need to be corrected and Charlie Delinks will make revisions.  Once completed, Steve Ross will announce an update and post the Plan on the Town website. Steve Ross and members thanked Dave for all his work on the HM Plan update.
Jon Mittelman suggested adding links to the website regarding hurricane preparedness and will research some links for posting.

Ned Farman gave an overview of his efforts with the dredging: 1) Bill Harris has found that the Town’s Assessor’s Office can provide a list of residents by street that can be printed out at $.05/label;  2) Mike Magee and Ned attended the recent meeting of the Old Lyme Conservation Commission and provided an overview of the dredging project.  The Commission was receptive to the ideas that were presented. Mervin Roberts of the Shellfish Commission who was in attendance at the meeting was not supportive of dredging; 3) Ned had spoken with Joe Salvatore/DOT who was encouraging of the long-term process; 4) Ned has not contacted The Day, Lyme Times or Lymeline because he felt that more information from credentialed contacts are needed but will do so as the project evolves; 5) Ned stated that he is open to suggestions from members. Dave Zita thought that gathering a list of all people and organizations with vested interests is important. Jon Mittelman suggested universities and Ned noted that UConn Avery Point is intending to support a program of study while Dave Zita stated that URI has a huge program in this area; 6) Ned reported that he had written a draft of a questionnaire for use at the marinas which he will email to Janet for distribution. Additions, corrections or word changes can be submitted to Ned.

Dock Applications and Violations
None received this month.

Senate Bill
Steve Ross reported that the Senate Bill is now Public Act 10-106 which he said basically indicates that if a dock and its associated walkways, etc. existed prior to January 1, 1995 and is unpermitted, the property owner can apply for a Certificate of Permission (COP) instead of going through the whole permitting process. It is a much more timely process as DEP is required to respond to applications for COP within about a 45-90 day period whereas the permitting process can take a couple of years. The prior date was approximately 1982 so this encompasses many more unpermitted docks. Discussion followed how this new Act would have affected past residents with unpermitted docks.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:25 PM.

Submitted by:
Janet S. Cody, Clerk