Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Harbor Management Commission Minutes 01/12/2010
Minutes of a Meeting of
The Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission
January 12, 2010

Members presentCharlie Delinks, Bill Harris, Mike Mackey, Mike Magee, Mike Moran, Steve Ross, Dave Zita.
Alternates present –Ned Farman.
Absent – Susan Connors, Bob Doyen, Dave Frederiks,  Jon Mittelman.

A quorum being present, Chairman Ross called the meeting to order at 7:30 PM.

Clerk’s Report
The minutes of the previous meeting were reviewed and accepted as submitted.

Steve Ross received correspondence from the DEP regarding the application for dredging and installation of a floating dock at the Fiala marina on Bank Road.

Treasurer’s Report
Jon Mittelman was absent so the Treasurer’s report was tabled until next month.

Dinghy Dock
Mike Mackey reported that the dinghy dock is out of the water.  He and Mike Moran reviewed some specific repairs that will be needed in the near future.

Harbor Master
Mike Moran reported that he has been receiving calls to apply for mooring permits. He will send out applications this month.

Mike also gave an extensive overview of the problems and expenses incurred with HMC’s use of the patrol boat which led to approval by HMC for use and payment for use of his personal boat for HM duties. He gave more detailed information regarding the HM Survey that was submitted in November. Charlie Delinks remarked on the great job that Mike has been doing over the years.  .  A discussion followed of what Mike should do with logs that he removes from against boats as well as the liability involved.  Steve Ross commended Mike for his research and thoroughness of his report.  Motion made by Charlie Delinks seconded by Dave Zita to decrease the HM’s hourly rate and adjust the hours to reflect the amount of time to perform the work that is done. Motion passed unanimously.

Dock Standards
Steve Ross reviewed his work with Marylin Clarke on the draft language for the ordinance which was emailed to members.  Motion made by Charlie Delinks seconded by Ned Farman to approve Marylin Clarke’s language drafted for the Amendment to the Harbor Management Ordinance with the addition of the date of approval by HMC. Motion passed unanimously.
The addendum and ordinance will be presented at the Town Meeting on January 25, 2010 at the Middle School and Steve asked all members to attend.  He will have the addendum placed on the Town’s website.  Steve noted that the local enforcement language was removed per earlier decision by the HMC.  
Dave Zita gave credit to Steve Ross to bringing the dock standards project to fruition and noted its demonstration of cooperation and hard work.  Steve stated that Brad Ficken raised the original idea and it was achieved through the help of committee members (Bob Doyen, Brad Ficken, Dave Zita).

Future Locations for Projects
Members discussed ideas for locations and agreed to remove this item from future agendas until a location/project idea comes forth.

Harbor Management Plan
Charlie Delinks gave a disk with the scan of the Harbor Management Plan appendices to Dave Zita who will now be able to complete the project of updating the plan.  

At the last HMC meeting, Ned Farman was appointed to head up a Dredging Sub-committee. Ned reported that he has formed a subcommittee consisting of Charlie Delinks, Bill Harris, Susan Connors and Jon Mittelman.  At Steve Ross’ suggestion, Mike Moran will be an Ad Hoc Member.  
Ned stated that he has met with Tim Griswold, Bonnie Reemsnyder, and Marilyn Giuliano regarding a capital budget request to the Town for $20,000 which was proposed by Apex.  He will also meet with Skip Sibley.  Discussion followed to include the following topics: areas to be dredged, gathering anecdotal information, consciousness-raising in the community, involvement of private entities in fundraising and the lengthy process for a project like this.  Steve Ross stated that the next step is to outline the scope of the project to present to the Board of Finance.
 Mike Moran stated that he will invite the East Lyme HM to next month’s meeting to see if the proposed dredging could fit into their need for sand when moving the train tracks.

Nominations and Election of Officers
After proper nomination, seconds and voting, the following were elected for the year ending December 31, 2010:
Chairman: Steven Ross
Vice Chair: Dave Zita
Secretary: Dave Frederiks
Treasurer: Jon Mittelman

2010 Meeting Schedule
Motion made by Charlie Delinks seconded by Bill Harris to approve the 2010 meeting schedule which includes no August or December meeting. Motion passed unanimously.  Janet Cody will send notice of its approval to appropriate Town Hall personnel.

Budget Review
Steve Ross reported that he submitted the HMC budget with items for HM and Dinghy Dock. Discussion followed regarding possible purchase by the Town of a GPS unit, approximate cost $5,000, for use by Town Boards and Commissions and Public Works.

Dock Applications and Violations
None received this month.

The meeting was adjourned at 9 PM.

Submitted by:
Janet S. Cody, Clerk