Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Harbor Management Commission Minutes 03/12/2019
Meeting Minutes
The Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission
March 12, 2019 Regular Meeting


Regular Members Present: Mark Beatty, Robert Falaguerra, George Finley, Bill Harris, Teri Lewis (alternate), John MacDonald, Mike Mackey (ex-officio), Mike Magee, Jeff Meinke, Tom Meyer, Harry Plaut (ex-officio), Richard Shriver (alternate)

Absent: Steven Ross

Guests:  None

Vice Chairman John MacDonald called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.  
Richard Shriver was seated for Steven Ross.

a.       Clerks Report:  Approval of Minutes
Jeff Meinke moved to accept the minutes of Meeting December 11, 2018, and Robert Falaguerra seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

b.      Correspondence
Tentative approval for final application by DEEP of dock extension and boat lift Filbert 24 Neck Road was received.

Final approval by DEEP of: Four Mile River Marina 2 & 4 Bank Road, Old Lyme, CT
Retention of existing structures, tidal wetlands restoration / enhancement and installation of new in-water structures and bulkheads for flood and erosion control and for marine commercial use.  

John MacDonald reported that he had received notification that Mark Beatty was named as a regular member to this Commission in January, due to Bob Doyen’s resignation.  It was noted that the terms for John MacDonald and Bill Harris will be up for re-appointment in January of 2020.

c.       Treasurer’s Report:  Approval of Report for Dec 2018 – February 2019
Bill Harris presented the Treasurer’s Report for Dec 2018 – February 2019.  Beginning Balance:  $26,761.57 Interest / Dividends: $80.17, Receipts: $120, Disbursements: $1,373.98, Ending Balance: $25,587.76.   The Treasurer’s Report was accepted.

d.      Matters Relevant to the HMC at the State Level
There was nothing new to discuss.

a.      DEEP Marine HQ, Ferry Road, dock work and dredging
Steven Ross had previously emailed out this entire document to the Commissioners. It was a very long document and for that reason John MacDonald handed out an executive summary and two photos on this project for the Commission’s review.  There was a discussion.  George Finley moved, and Tom Meyer seconded, that the Harbor Management Commission approve and sign the Consultation Form for this project.

a.       Member Appointments
There is an opening for one Alternate Member.

b.      Pilgrim Landing – Mike Magee
Nothing new to report.

c.      Dinghy Dock – Mike Mackey
The docks are out of the water and the new rollers and axles with bolts will be replaced when the docks go back in the water come the warmer weather.  George Finley will replace the two signs at that same time.

d.      Public Access Site – West Bank of Lt. River and Halls Road
Status of Contract Draft with Docko for the design and permitting of Water Access Project
John MacDonald reviewed the status of contract with Docko for the design and permitting of Water Access Project. As far as he knows the contract is still in the hands of the Town Attorney waiting to be finalized.  John expects this should be completed soon.

e.      Draft of Mooring Inspection Checklist and required procedure - table until 2019
Mike Mackey stated he has made some progress on this.

f.      Transition of permit issuance and inspection report record keeping from Mike Mackey to Tom Meyer.
Tom Meyer and Mike Mackey had met previously to review how this procedure has worked in the past.  All the present forms were reviewed and discussed by the Commission with suggestions being made to make the entire process run more smoothly.  Tom Meyer will send the present forms to members and ask for their feedback.  A flow chart will be created to make the process run smoothly from beginning to end.  When all is done, forms will be updated on the website and match what is handed out at Town Hall for walk-ins. There is no urgency for all of this to be done immediately.  

g.      Status of obtaining stickers to be mailed with approved permits annually to be affixed to mooring floats – Teri Lewis
Teri Lewis reported on stickers for mooring balls.  As requested by Steven Ross, she priced out square shaped stickers.  She proposed a 3-inch square sticker, with the Town logo and the year on each. Each year the stickers would be a different color.  The stickers are 70 cents each with a small set-up fee.  Turn-around time is 24 hours. Teri will send out a photo of the proposed stickers to members.

Jeff Meinke moved, and Mike Magee seconded, to approve the expenditure not to exceed $150 for the purchase of 125 stickers for 2019.  These stickers would be mailed out to mooring holders with their permit approval mailing.  Old Lyme Marina will be excluded only for the marinas that are his rental moorings.

John MacDonald gave a recap:  Tom Meyer will review the present forms and make it clear which form is the application and which one is for the inspection. He will do some customization to make this clearer.  He will see Cathy Frank at Town Hall to update the Town website forms (both the fillable and printable forms), the old forms will be acceptable as long as they make them to Tom’s attention and the checks go to Bill Harris.  Tom will start picking up the envelopes at Town Hall mailbox, and then get the checks over to Bill.  Tom will scrape all the data off the forms and send over to Harry for his signature.  After this is done, the applicant will get the permit mailed to them and a sticker will be included.

Commissioners thanked both Tom Meyer, Mike Mackey and Teri Lewis for their efforts.

a.      Harbor Master Report Harry Plaut and Mike Mackey
Harry Plaut’s report falls at the end of these minutes.

b.      Report from Kayak Launching and Storage Committee
Mike Magee gave a report of the last Kayak Launching and Storage Committee Meeting in February. The group discussed broadening the scope to include areas owned by entities other than the Town.  Watch Rock and the fire pond (well) at the end of Ferry Road on the Lt River are among other sites.  Mike received an encouraging reply from Fire Department Chief Tom Risom.  The group talked about new “hands fee” kayaks.  Also the Town Landing off Smith Neck Road may be a site for a low kayak rack.  Locking possibilities were discussed.  The next meeting will be on March 19. The Commission discussed other possibilities for locations.

Harry Plaut asked a question about the dinghies being stickered which are on the racks.  There was a short discussion and this item was tabled until next meeting.  

Tom Meyer brought attention to Sec 22 Anchoring in the Town Harbor Management Plan.  The Town offers two mooring balls for transient mooring.  He was looking for clarification.  
To be discussed at the next meeting.

Sec. 22 Anchoring: “A designated transient anchorage, for approximately six vessels is located
between Goose Island and Calves Island. See Figure No.3. Disputes within this area are to be
resolved by the Harbormaster.”



George Finley moved and Robert Falaguerra seconded, to adjourn the meeting at 8:30 PM.  

The next meeting of the HMC will be on April 9, 2019.  

Submitted by,

Mary Ellen Garbarino (Clerk)

Harbormaster Report from Harry Plaut (1/2019- 3/6/2019)

Jan 2: Received and responded to an email from Margaret Morgan regarding 9 Binney Rd. mooring transfer.

Jan 7: Spoke to Mike Magee regarding kayak launch at Smiths Neck.

Jan 11: Received permit check from Winkle.

Jan 15: Responded to Docko regarding Breault property at Binney Rd.

Feb 8: Received a call from Keith Neilsen from Docko wanting to know of any reported oil spills south of Old Lyme marina by Staub property.  Information requested by Army Corp. Of Engineers, my response was no, nothing reported.  The Staub's are looking for a dredging permit.

Feb 13: Received email regarding sunken boat at Hamburg Cove, referred to Harbormaster Lyme.

Received questions regarding permits regarding sand removal at Old Lyme Shores

Feb 25: USCG alert system CT region 4, region test, no action required

Feb 27: Questioned by DOCKO regarding definition of permit holder VS property owner

March 6: Met with Tom Sienrowski, the new agent for the Binney Rd. dock association.  Gave information to him and answered his questions