

Official

**TOWN OF HOOKSETT  
Community Profile Committee  
Town Hall, Council Chambers  
Thursday, October 23, 2014, 6:00 pm**

**MEETING CALLED TO ORDER AT 6:05 P.M.**

**WELCOME AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE**

M. Miville: In addition to the town meeting videotaping we are also videotaping for UNH Cooperative Extension to prepare for a new video presentation for community profiles.

**PRESENT:** Marc Miville (Chairman), Joan McDonald, Joanne McHugh, Todd Rainier, Charlene Baxter (UNH Cooperative Extension), Molly Donovan (UNH Cooperative Extension), Mike Horne (arrived at 6:10pm), Matt Barrett, Maura Ouellette, Sarah White (arrived at 6:38pm), and Ashley Houde.

**EXCUSED:** Tom Young

**STAFF:** JoAnn Duffy (Town Planner) and Carolyn Cronin (Assistant Planner)

**APPROVAL OF MINUTES**

**October 9, 2014 Regular Meeting – J. McHugh motioned to approve the October 9, 2014 regular meeting minutes, with amendments. Seconded by M. Barrett. Motion carried unanimously.**

C. Baxter: I put a leadership activity on the agenda. Since we have been working together for this many months, I am recalling where we were when we started when there were a lot of unknowns. Not surprisingly, everyone has stepped up in making this happen in a couple of weeks. Molly, who is providing leadership, had an idea for a leadership activity. I think a lot of Hooksett's leaders are in this room.

M. Donovan: It is nice to be back. When I was here in January, there was an initial discussion about whether or not to do a Community Profile. I am pleased Charlene has been reporting back all of the hard work you have done. It is hard to explain community development. What I like to tell people is it is about developing local leaders. We come in right before the busiest time of a profile and take a look at leadership. Our long term goal is that we are hoping you are developing skills that will help you to continue to be leaders. We are here to remind you that community leadership comes in all shapes, forms, and responsibilities.

*M. Donovan passed out a paper that described the characteristics of community leaders.*

M. Donovan: I have the sense that one person is not doing everything and each of you has taken a role that will help this move forward. You have been plain spoken which is important. I loved seeing your flyer. Think about this, reflect on your experience, and reflect on where you want to be in the future as a community leader in Hooksett. When you come together in December with your final report, take time to celebrate because that is important in community work. I want to thank you for all the work you have done.

M. Miville: Mike and Joan are primarily the lead for publicity, promotions, invitations, and programs. Is there anything to add on that?

J. McDonald: I think everyone doing some publicity at this point. My portion has been notices to the newspapers. We did another piece in The Hooksett Banner and I indicated that we would send them something for the next three weeks and they could do what they want with it. We talked about doing a follow-up for The Union Leader and Concord Monitor. I can get that out this weekend or as soon as we want. We will merge what we focus on tonight. I have the one we sent to The Hooksett Banner and the information one you provided on Gerard-at-Large which had a lot of things and I liked a lot of the comments that Marc made.

M. Horne: I haven't heard back from Merchant's yet. I talked to them about having this put on their sign board and they seemed positive. They said they would get back to me.

C. Baxter: Where are the three sign boards? I know Matt has one at his business.

M. Horne: Merchant's and the library are the others.

J. Duffy: We have a portable one as well.

M. Horne: Mike, could you ask if we could use that.

M. Horne: Maybe there is a way to put that out for election day, or we could put it on 3A on the west side.

T. Rainier: I think we should leave it there through the weekend prior because the transfer station gets a lot of traffic on the weekends.

C. Baxter: If anyone happens to snap a photograph of the signage, Molly and I had conversed about what a fantastic job you are doing getting so much publicity. We would like to put a notebook together and share with other towns doing community profiles on how to do publicity right.

M. Miville: I gave you one of the banner in front of town hall and I have some of the signage at the grocery store and Donati Field. The big banner is attached to one of the fences and I put up flyers in sheet protectors. I can send you pictures of those.

M. Horne: It has been a little over two weeks since we sent out the news and announcements on the

town website. There are 180+ people that follow the website so I think we should post to that again and see if some of them will respond. I am getting discouraged because I am not getting commitments.

M. Miville: We have 50+ people registered, so far.

C. Baxter: I measure success by everyone in Hooksett seeing something, whether or not they come is another indicator. A lot of people sign up at the last minute.

J. McHugh: I brought the registration forms with me and some people told me they were going. I handed them the registration form and they did sign them.

C. Baxter: If we can grab people's email addresses we can send them an email reminder.

M. Miville: Tom, you could add to it letting them know about door prizes, etc. I was going to businesses over the last couple days soliciting donations, and I went to Hooksett Fireworks. I had a nice talk with Phil. Christine is the manager. When I was showing them the letter she said in lieu of a gift card or two she mentioned firing off some fireworks. I was thinking about the logistics. She mentioned about 5 minutes worth with a pyrotechnic expert. I needed to clear it with the police and fire chief and the state needs to clear the site. I am not sure I have the time to clear everything, but it is a wonderful offer. The police chief had no issue and I am waiting to hear from the fire chief.

J. McHugh: Would this be at the school site?

M. Miville: Yes.

C. Baxter: My first thought is how great that would look in the video.

M. Miville: Is that something everyone would be inclined to accept and work on and perhaps we could assign that?

J. McHugh: Why don't we make that contingent on the approval of the superintendent?

M. Miville: He has been very generous about flyers and mailings, cooperation of the school, and live streaming.

J. McDonald: When would you do this?

M. Miville: Friday evening, after the event. We would make an announcement. It may attract more people. Hooksett Fireworks was very sincere about it and we just need to coordinate.

J. McHugh: I will call the superintendent in the morning and we will verify with the insurance company if they would be okay with that.

J. Duffy: Would the town insurance come into that?

M. Miville: I don't know.

M. Barrett: For a 10 minute firework show you don't want to put in hours trying to coordinate it.

J. McHugh: When HYAA uses the buildings, they have an insurance binder because they are assuming the liability, but I don't know with regard to something like this. That is why I am suggesting speaking with the superintendent and have him follow it up as to whether it would be the school department or the town that has to do it.

M. Miville: There are a lot of logistics. They have the fireworks. They are just waiting for our response on that offer or if we would prefer gift cards. As far as social media, Facebook has been up, if everyone could, please like the pages. The idea was if everyone liked it we would be able to spread it. The idea of Twitter is to use it the night of the meeting. The facebook is Hooksetts Future Through Community Profile and Hooksett's Future-Community Profile. The twitter account is [hooksettsfuture@commprofileoffi](mailto:hooksettsfuture@commprofileoffi). Charlene and I had our radio appearance at the Rich Girard-at-Large radio show today and that went really well. Subsequent to that, his producer, posted our photo on their facebook page and I replied with everything we did not get a change to mention. Joan, we touched on media releases. I would start with the Union Leader and Concord Monitor. Would you use the same ones?

J. McDonald: Yes. The shorter ones.

M. Miville: Letters to the editor were in this past week's Hooksett Banner. Maura are you going to send one for this coming week?

M. Ouellette: Yes.

M. Miville: Between the press releases, the letters to the editor, and the Town Administrators letter, we are covered for the next three weeks. We have a newsletter that is going out with the tax bills. Our community profile event is on the bottom left of the front page.

C. Baxter: When are they going out?

M. Miville: They are going out next week or before November 1. They are going to try to expedite them because of our community profile event.

M. Barrett: That could be a negative.

C. Baxter: I think it is a good thing because it gives people a chance to voice their concerns.

M. Miville: The website links are partially up and running. I have seen some in the town website but we have to coordinate the school board website into the town website for the day of the event. We will need a specific link for that day? Is that how that works?

C. Cronin: I am not sure.

M. Miville: Dr. Shankle mentioned he was able to attach them. We will have him look into that. The connections with town organizations are well covered. They are all well aware through communications and reaching out to them.

J. McHugh: I reached out to the person in my neighborhood who is the head of Neighborhood Watch and he is going to put it out. Neighborhood watches are a good place to contact.

M. Horne: I can add that to my task as I know a lot of them.

M. Barrett: The police department might know who they are.

J. McHugh: I believe Sargent Robie is in charge of that and he is very cooperative.

M. Miville: I started going to day cares this week. The front doors were all locked and a few of them said no solicitations.

J. McHugh: I reached out to someone from the PTO and asked if they would talk about it.

M. Ouellette: We sent out the 8 ½ x 11 sheet to all three schools so that went out to 1500 families. We are talking about doing a 2<sup>nd</sup> mailing, which would be the postcard, this week. They need to be set to go by Tuesday for the Wednesday mailing. Some people came to me because they did not understand the flyer because they had not heard about this before. I was originally thinking we should do another full sheet with a more detailed explanation.

M. Miville: What if we sent them the agenda?

C. Baxter: I think the agenda would overwhelm people.

J. McHugh: I think it needs to be from their age group of what they can offer or bring to the conversation. I wonder if that is where the misunderstanding lies.

M. Horne: I think if you put in the topics of the breakout sessions they might understand that. If they can see the subject they have a passion for that might help.

J. McHugh: That address what Maura has said about people not understanding and if they don't understand, they won't participate. If you give them an idea of some of the categories that might be helpful.

M. Miville: We will need to redraft them, print them, and sort them. How would we coordinate that?

C. Baxter: There is as much information on the postcard as on the flyer. We want to get people to go to the town website to get more information.

M. Donovan: At the last profile we did in Barrington, people were unsure. We did a flyer, but I like your postcard, with a box on the side that said what the topics were going to be. Listing those 11 topics

would be informative.

M. Miville: On the postcard?

M. Donovan: That is up to you.

M. Miville: We haven't printed the extra postcards.

C. Cronon: We have postcards available but they are generic.

J. McHugh: Instead of a whole other letter could we attach something separate that listed the components?

C. Baxter: I was impressed the article in The Hooksett Banner listed the components. Do most people in town read The Hooksett Banner?

T. Rainier: It is accessible.

J. Duffy: The easier thing to do would be to print another flyer, rather than the postcards, because the postcards are more labor intensive and card-stock is more expensive.

M. Horne: I could put something together.

M. Barrett: I think if they don't understand it they won't participate. It is well spelled out.

J. McHugh: I think when people don't understand they will sit back and not say anything. I would hate to see us have a profile and have that group not be represented.

M. Barrett: How much clearer can you be than what has been done?

M. Horne: There are some people that may or may not go to elections. They look and say: "An evening of groups, I'm not going?" There are people that do things like that and some that don't.

M. Miville: I don't know how much clearer we can make this.

J. McHugh: You don't have any topics on there.

M. Miville: Share your ideas and we can put you in a spot where you can talk about it more. We are going to round table discussions base on the idea you are bringing. I think we might be over-thinking this.

M. Ouellette: Do you want to stick with the postcard?

M. Miville: I would like to.

M. Donovan: You can talk about the topics through letters to the editor and other social media.

M. Miville: On the next press release why don't we identify the topics with bullets that will be discussed at the round table discussions.

C. Baxter: What people need to absorb is the first night of those 11 components, people get randomly assigned to those groups. On Saturday, they get to choose which group they want to be in. We do that to get a lot of diversity in each of those 11 rooms. We do it this way because it works.

M. Miville: Are we separating spouses as well?

C. Baxter: Yes. If you think it is a good idea.

***The consensus is to send out the postcards, as they are now, throughout the schools, and describe the components and basic agenda thorough mass media and press releases.***

M. Miville: What is the status of Peterbrook?

M. Rainier: We received approval to hand out flyers. I would request that we not put anything on windshields. There is a PA system at this event and would be happy to read a script throughout the day. It is a constant change of people. I would just like to be directed as to what to read for a script.

M. Miville: Let's use one of our press releases. Gives dates, times and contact information.

J. Duffy: Will it be inconvenient for people to hold onto flyers vs. postcards?

T. Rainier: Every player has to register and each coach has to register their teams and parents will be there. They will already be holding something. Carolyn and I spoke about the postcards and that is what I was thinking we would hand out and we have plenty to do that with.

C. Cronin: Currently we are covered for Saturday. I can give you the ones we have now.

T. Rainier: I think 500 is more than enough.

C. Cronin: For the schools, I would need to print more, but I would need them for Tuesday night.

J. Duffy: Maybe it would be easier to do a new flyer for the schools because it is quicker and we could the postcards elsewhere.

M. Miville: Then we have to sort them by 25.

M. Ouellette: They don't need to be sorted for Underhill and Memorial.

J. McHugh: I can see for the middle school.

M. Ouellette: The middle school might be different.

C. Baxter: The flyer would be easier to see.

*The consensus was to give 500 postcards to Todd for Peterbrook and 1,500 of the flyers to the schools by Tuesday.*

M. Miville: That will give us postcards left over and we can think of more ways to use them. The banner in front of the town hall has been getting ripped with the wind. I am thinking we could move it to the front of the school the day of the event.

M. Ouellette: There is a chain link fence.

T. Rainier: Leading up to the event we could move the portable sign over near Cawley.

M. Ouellette: It would be great to have it there for voting day.

M. Miville: At the end of the road?

M. Horne: At the end of the parking lot as long as it isn't blocking anything.

M. Horne: Do we need to get permission from the school?

J. McHugh: When I ask about the fireworks I will ask about the sign.

M. Miville: What about the Chamber of Commerce letter?

J. Duffy: I distributed the flyer at the executive board meeting this week to get them to attend. I also made copies for them and they said they would put them at their next event which is a few days prior to this.

M. Miville: Going to places is very time consuming and usually requires more than one visit. There are a lot of businesses in town that are requesting a proposal letter stating what is needed and the tax id number. I am thinking the letter could go out to the businesses to save us some time, instead of visiting in person. Carolyn has the letter with all of the information. Can we ask the Chamber of Commerce to blanket the business?

J. Duffy: Can you send that to me?

M. Miville: Carolyn has it. It explains to businesses what we are doing, solicits their participation and offers the fact that we will support their business at the event.

T. Rainier: A personal visit will bear fruit. If you send something to a business, follow it up in person and you will have more success. Some businesses may say they want to offer something at the event, but very few will do that. That is not a one person thing. It takes a lot of people to do that.

M. Miville: Maybe we should have started that a couple of months ago. Sometimes the contact people are in other states.

M. Barrett: That is why we need to stay local.



C. Baxter: Hooksett has so much retail. You won't get 100% saturation. Stay realistic.

M. Miville: I am trying to reach various aspects of the businesses to appeal to the diversity we are trying to attract. I am telling them even if they can't contribute I want to make them aware of the event and be as diverse as possible. I visited the Hooksett-ites and registered 24 of them to come. They are fascinating people to talk to. They had one issue that they are going to bring and that is this town does not have an area that has a place that has a picnic area with a wooden roof structure for picnic tables. They will bring their issues themselves. We are all set with HYAA?

T. Rainier: We are with the soccer event coming up on the 25th.

M. Horne: We pushed it out to the leadership groups to encourage them to get the word out.

M. Miville: What is the status on GE Aviation?

J. Duffy: We are not sure on that yet.

M. Miville: I think they were interested in facilitating.

C. Baxter: We can see when we get to small group discussion leaders where we stand on that and decide if we could use them.

M. Miville: I would like to follow-up with him.

J. Duffy: I will do that.

M. Miville: Should we be passing out flyers at the November 4 election?

M. Horne: Just the sign board will be fine.

M. Miville: I was passing them out on the way out at the September election, but people go in different directions. I think the sign will be adequate.

***Consensus is the sign will be adequate for election day.***

M. Miville: Joanne and Maura, will you be all set for registration?

C. Baxter: We will put a table inside the entrance with a sandwich board sign outside to guide them to use the gym entrance. We will bring registration sign up sheets.

M. Ouellette: Do you feel like there is anything else we need to do in advance?

C. Baxter: Raffle tickets and door prizes and how that will be done. I think that should be done at the registration desk.

M. Miville: I have Donna's roll of tickets. Everyone gets a ticket. Do we do names or just the

numbers?

J. McHugh: Don't they have two parts. It is a number.

M. Donovan: It is helpful if you bring a list of who registered. That way we combine the email list at the end. Some people say "I already registered" and they like to know that you know they did. That will help with follow-up as well.

C. Baxter: For the mosaic I met with Brian and have been in communication with him about Hooksett's history and the demographics. He is in good shape with that. We had feedback that it would be wise for us to include the results for the 2001 profile so people know you have done this before and that there are results from that.

M. Miville: And value to what we are doing.

C. Baxter: It might get people to stay. I will talk with Charlie French about making that be a part of his comments.

J. McHugh: I had someone speak to me about what was done with the prior profile and the master plan. That person said that we didn't do a lot. It is hard to quantify what has and has not been done. There are some people who will say I am not going because what is the use. Does it have any value when Brian is speaking it might be helpful for him to say that we have done things.

C. Baxter: Charlie will do that but I will also mention these to Brian because it might fit in with his comments as well.

M. Miville: There is a fine line between great idea and what we can afford.

C. Baxter: I think one of the pivotal moments is when people understand that someone should do something about X mean "we". The action groups that form at the end of the event are the people that live in Hooksett that decided to engage in some action to address the issues they brought forth. It is easy to think whoever "they" is should have done something about it. Charlie has a good way of having the audience embrace what has happened before as useful information for going ahead.

T. Rainier: Would it make sense to quantify some of these things and use that as part of a press release? That might get some of the people to attend that are thinking nothing came out of the prior one.

M. Miville: We have two press releases left. We can say the 11 topics and what the results of the last one were.

J. McDonald: I would have to know if it was used in the Master Plan.

C. Baxter: Some things don't always get in the Master Plan. I can send you what we have used in the past.

M. Miville: I remember looking at the one from 2001 and highlighted things that have been done.

T. Rainier: I think it matters that things have happened because of the input of people.

C. Baxter: Something happened with 6 of the action groups and there were results. It is important to mention that.

M. Miville: Are we doing email blast reminders now or right before the event or in general?

M. Horne: The week prior. I will work with Carolyn.

C. Cronin: I have been keeping all of the email addresses I have gotten.

*C. Baxter passed around the agenda or the Community Profile event which is in draft form and provided an explanation of it.*

C. Baxter: It would be helpful to have the program printed by Carolyn. It will include a list of the Steering Committee and all of the businesses that have contributed. I will make sure you have a copy of the program.

C. Cronin: Our copier has been touchy.

C. Baxter: If you can't print it we will, but I am going to depend on you for the lists.

M. Miville: It may have to be an insert. What is the status of the school site logistics?

M. Ouellette: I met with Matt Benson, the Principal at Cawley, to go over over the details. They are having a road race but it should not affect us. They have given us the cafeteria and the 6<sup>th</sup> grade wing. They are leaving one wing in the back of building that one of the Cawley teachers will be manning. The race is outside and they are parking one side of the building. We are parking in front of building.

C. Baxter: The space is great and has a great layout.

M. Miville: Are we all set with the maintenance person?

M. Ouellette: Yes.

M. Miville: I spoke to the police chief about this event. I asked if we needed police presence and he didn't think so. When I told him about the fireworks he said to let him know about the final details and he said he would let us know if we needed police presence.

M. Ouellette: How do you want to handle live-streaming?

J. McHugh: I was told it would be all set to go.

M. Miville: I am going to be in charge of other things, but I was told that we would just have to turn a

key. Dave is filming with his own camera. If we wanted to go into small groups we would use David Pearl, but we didn't want to do that. I just need to know who will be able to turn it on.

M. Ouellette: I can talk to him. I just didn't know if someone would be manning a camera.

J. McHugh: I knew that David Pearl would be using his own camera.

C. Baxter: Video taping can be inhibiting. The large group sessions are the most interesting for people to videotape.

S. White: I have been updating Twitter to let people know that the event is going to be happening, but I don't know what other things you want me to put on there.

M. Miville: Tweets are only a certain amount of characters. I would write up the whole thing in a bunch of different tweets.

C. Baxter: Also push registration.

J. Duffy: Do you have any followers?

A. Houde: Not really. If everyone can start following and re-tweeting that would be helpful.

M. Miville: The Twitter is [@hooksettsfuture@commprofileoffi](https://twitter.com/hooksettsfuture)

A. Houde: When you are searching it you will find it by typing in commprofile.

C. Baxter: Sarah, I will introduce you to the person from our staff who will help with that.

M. Miville: How are you doing with attendance at the high school?

A. Houde: We are trying to figure out how to make an announcement on the intercom at school with the news in the morning.

S. White: We are going to talk to the people who run it but are not sure if we can speak because it is dedicated for seniors. If we can't, we will give them a script to read.

M. Miville: Maybe you could do one each week. Would that go to the whole school?

A. Houde: Yes.

C. Baxter: The Hooksett Banner says they are looking for Hooksett students.

A. Houde: We could say attention students from Hooksett.

M. Miville: I sense that with the high schoolers we are not there yet.

M. Donovan: That is typical with every community. If you have specific teachers in social studies or

civic classes that might be willing to make an announcement that may be helpful.

M. Miville: Do they still have home rooms?

S. White: We have advisories. I can ask my principal but the advisories are sporadic.

M. Miville: Maybe the flyers that we have left over we could pass out to high schoolers.

M. Donovan: What about the National Honor Society or guidance department. It is similar to the business. They need to hear from folks personally. If each of you came and brought a couple of people that would be great.

M. Miville: Could you pass some of the flyers out to teachers or the National Honor Society?

S. White: Yes.

T. Rainier: As far a food. Will there be a custodian there and barrels throughout the event?

M. Ouellette: Yes.

T. Rainier: The food is going well. I talked with close to 30 restaurants and supermarkets and most of them want to participate in some way and want to be followed up with. I have a dozen signed up and sealed commitments and just have to pick things up. I will be asking Matt and Joanne, as we are a committee, to help me with some of the follow-up. The night of the event for this food to arrive hot, I need some assistance getting it there. I will need myself, my wife and probably 4 other people. The businesses are lined up on Rt. 3. It won't be difficult. Traffic might be a challenge. I told everyone 5:00pm. The only thing I haven't gotten a commitment on is pizza but I have asked.

M. Miville: So we have enough food?

T. Rainier: I don't think it will be a problem. I am planning this based on 100-125 people. I think it is time to start using some of this as a hook, because we have commitments from restaurants. The 99, Applebees, and Supreme Pizza are guaranteed. We also have more businesses that are tentative. With each of these restaurants the pitch we are making is they be representing themselves, there will be a sign and I told them they could give us business cards and menus to put with the food. For breakfast, Tuckers is going to help with pastries and Market Basket was happy to offer bottled water and a cut fruit tray. I have to do follow up with other restaurants regarding lunch. I explained my concept about using a gift voucher for use that afternoon. That is coming together. The logistical part of picking things up is what I need help with.

M. Miville: Do you have soda?

T. Rainier: We are working on soda. My approach with the supermarkets and BJ's is to fill in the blanks. We will need paper goods and other things. A lot of supermarkets will give a gift card that you

can shop for what you need. I have spoken with LaValley and Osborne's about centerpieces. I have not revisited LaValley's. I have with Osborne's and they have offered do something.

M. Miville: We could use the centerpieces as raffles.

C. Baxter: What about coffee on Saturday morning?

T. Rainier: I have a connection with the food service at Sodexo and have talked with Dan VanAvery for that. It would be a large portable dispenser. If this works it would be great.

M. Miville: At the employee appreciation dinner there were a lot of Dunkin Donuts gift cards, so if they don't offer coffee they may be able to offer gift cards.

C. Baxter: Please give your spreadsheet to Carolyn when you have all your donations.

T. Rainier: I will.

J. McHugh: Do you want to have a place card in front of each dish?

T. Rainier: I am telling everyone they will get recognition and that is one of the ways they can be recognized.

J. McDonald: In Marc's facebook posting to Rich Girard he had a phrase that I am going to use in the press release. It is called: "A free taste of Hooksett community dinner."

T. Rainier: For promoting things, we can use the 99, Applebees, Market Basket, Tuckers, Supreme Pizza, and The Puritan now because they have already committed.

C. Baxter: It is also an incentive of places that have not yet donated as far as getting their name in the newspaper.

M. Miville: How are we doing with child care and transportation?

C. Cronin: No one has requested it.

S. White: We have people who have signed up. We have two people for Friday, no one for Saturday morning, and 4 people for Saturday afternoon. The sign up sheet will be put out at the guidance office. If no one signs up for the morning, I will see if 2 for the afternoon will come in the morning. If no one needs child care, the volunteers can join the event.

M. Miville: I will send an email to Carolyn as to what businesses I have been to and she can send it out to everyone. If you go someplace please let us know. In hand we have 4 or 5 who have donated. We have had a lot of positive responses, but have a lot of call backs to make, and I need help with that.

C. Baxter: We will email an evaluation to everyone who attends on the Monday after the meeting. It will also let people know the report will be released in December. Where do we stand on the small

group discussion leaders?

C. Cronin: We have 18.

C. Baxter: Does that include Molly and Sharon?

C. Cronin: I have 4 from UNH.

C. Baxter: Molly Donovan, Sharon Cowen, and Jon Nute. We need one more.

J. Duffy: If you need me to be a small group facilitator I will be.

M. Horne: I will do that as well.

C. Cronin: I will email all of the people on the list to remind them about the meeting on Monday.

C. Baxter: Can you order pizza?

J. Duffy: I ordered sandwiches, salad, and dessert.

J. Duffy: I am going to call GE tomorrow.

C. Cronin: We have 20 adding Joanne and Mike.

C. Baxter: I think the people attending the training will go away feeling confident.

M. Donovan: On Monday, we will look at who is assigned to topics. That list will come back to Joanne and Marc to look at if the assignments are okay so people are neutral. On Saturday, we will have 5 or 6 groups. At that point I like to give the Steering Committee a break.

M. Miville: Charlene and I visited Robie's and had a pleasant visit and a nice conversation with Tom Walsh. We asked him about any sponsorships he was willing to do.

J. McHugh: I talked to him as well. I don't think it is fair to ask him. I think he would have the willingness but, based on their current situation, I don't think it is fair.

M. Miville: I would like to have some paraphernalia from there at the event, but I don't know if someones buys and item if it goes towards Robie's or the Heritage Commission.

T. Rainier: It depends on what it is. You have Robie's Country Store Historic Preservation Corporation merchandise, and then you have some things that are his, but a lot of things that are his are not Robie's branded.

M. Miville: We didn't talk about separating where the money would go if we bought something. Perhaps we should purchase something from Robie's, possibly cookies or a type of salad.

J. Duffy: Is there anything else we could get to supplement what we are already getting?

C. Baxter: If you are getting the food donated from other merchants, it might make sense to do something different if you are going to make a purchase. Not necessarily bundle it with the food. Do something that stands apart.

*M. Horne left the meeting due to another obligation.*

M. Donovan: I think you should be careful that those participating don't think they can go and ask for a donation for their event as it appears as though they did a donation for this event. I would encourage you to find a way to do something separately.

J. McHugh: With regard to the cookies, do they have to be given at the end of the community supper, or can they be given later on?

M. Miville: What is you put cookies on every table?

C. Baxter: Is there anything for dessert on Friday night?

T. Rainier: No.

C. Baxter: Then that works. I would propose we do the cookies. We could give each of the small group discussion leaders a small bag of cookies to take to their room.

M. Miville: JoAnn, does that come out of your budget?

J. Duffy: The Town Administrator has been paying for things we need for this event out of his budget.

M. Miville: Would you like a hat or something?

J. McHugh: Would could do something from Heritage Commission.

T. Rainier: The merchandise that says Robie's does not belong to the operator. You would ask Kathie Northrup for historical items and Robert Schroeder for Robie's Country Store Historic Preservation.

M. Miville: I wanted to address this individually because it needs this should be represented at this event. Kathy did say she would donate something from the Heritage Commission.

T. Rainier: I can talk to Robert Schroeder about a donation of mugs or something like that.

C. Baxter: Is there a date for the 2<sup>nd</sup> week of December for our follow-up meeting?

C. Cronin: Let me look at the town calendar and get back to you.

C. Baxter: We will decide on November 6. Bring any door prizes with you on November 6 as well.

J. McDonald: At the beginning Molly talked about characteristics of a leader, and I would like to point out Carolyn because she is so many things on the list.



M. Barrett: Will the splash pad come up?

T. Rainier: I don't know.

M. Miville: In the past when I have been a facilitator or a scribe, we have information because we are involved in town and we hear about projects that are going on. If we hear a citizen say something and we have information that we could provide to the group to help them understand a topic, especially if their information is incorrect, how do we approach that when we don't want to change the flow of the discussion, but also contribute.

M. Donovan: We will talk about that at the training, but it is a great question. When you are in small group, because you are involved, you are going to do more listening than talking. Your facilitator will be asking different points such as: "Are there people here who can clarify that," or "Is there anyone that has any information to share that might help us get through this discussion about whatever the topic might be." That would be your opportunity to share some of your background information and it helps to bring everyone to the same place. Be careful when you share information. Try to be neutral. Don't personalize it. Be concise and edit your comments. Part of what is important about the small groups is people need to say what they want to say. The facilitators will be watching and will try to flag it. Wait for a facilitator to ask you and be clear and concise.

***J. McHugh motioned to adjourn. Seconded by T. Rainier. Motion carried unanimously.***

Meeting adjourned at 8:10 pm.

**Respectfully submitted by,**

**AnnMarie White  
Recording Clerk**