

Official

**TOWN OF HOOKSETT
Community Profile Committee
Town Hall, Council Chambers
Thursday, September 25, 2014, 6:00 pm**

MEETING CALLED TO ORDER AT 6:05 P.M.

WELCOME AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

PRESENT: Marc Miville (Chairman), Joan McDonald, Joanne McHugh, Todd Rainier, Sharon Cowen (UNH Cooperative Extension), Maura Ouellette (arrived at 6:21pm), Mike Horne, Matt Barrett, and Tom Young (arrived at 6:12pm).

EXCUSED: Charlene Baxter (UNH Cooperative Extension), Sarah White, Ashley Houde, Andrew Zanotti, Todd Lizotte, Rob Duhaime, Trisha Guglielmo, and Patrick Guglielmo

STAFF: JoAnn Duffy (Town Planner) (was in attendance until 7:10pm), Carolyn Cronin (Assistant Planner), and Dean Shankle (Town Administrator)

M. Miville: We are welcoming a new member tonight, Matt Barrett. He was on the previous profile committee in 2001 and has offered his assistance for this as well.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

September 4, 2014 Regular Meeting – *J. McHugh motioned to approve the September 4, 2014 regular meeting minutes. Seconded by T. Rainier. Matt Barrett abstained due to not being in attendance. Motion carried unanimously.*

M. Miville: Tonight we have an agenda to go through. Old Home Day is over and now we are in the second phase of planning. We need to fine tune what we are doing as far as responsibilities. Could everyone offer updates on what they have accomplished over the past few weeks.

J. McDonald: As far as publicity, we worked with Carolyn who helped us develop the postcard and a few other things. Everything we need to set up has the same format and that makes it easier. The next steps will be the flyer and mailer and those will have the same information except for size and format. I have made up a draft press release that can be sent to the newspapers electronically. I included the UNH acknowledgment. As far as getting the information out, we will develop a time-line and I envision us trying to get something into The Hooksett Banner for the next four weeks every week. Their deadline is Monday at noontime. Publicity will be a joint decision and we will follow through with it.

M. Horne: I set up the gmail account. I have it on auto-forward to my gmail account and we can

change that to forward to Carolyn. We have had two people RSVP. A point of discussion tonight would be how to use the gmail account.

T. Rainier: I think we should discuss the expectations of food tonight.

J. McHugh: I was at Old Home Day. I asked people that came by if they were Hooksett residents. If they were, I gave them a postcard, explained the process, and told them how important their feedback would be. I thought that we got some good reception, however, we did not get any registrations. For most people, the response was they were going to check their calendar, but there was an interest.

T. Young: Old Home Day was positive. I found quite a few people that were interested and that seemed to pick up on the concept of the importance of getting involved. I had some people who had ideas that they wanted me to carry forward such as the intersection of 27 and 28-bypass delayed left hand turn. They are smaller items and I am sure they will key into the various segments that we will have such as engineering, transportation, school, etc.

C. Cronin passed out flyers to the Committee.

M. Miville: I experienced the same thing when talking to the citizens. I mentioned to them that if they could come we would love to have face-to-face interaction with the community, however, if they cannot they can also post comments through the email address.

T. Young: I also sent out an email to Kiwanis and Lions.

J. McHugh: The Lions 50th anniversary banquet is November 7 and they cannot change it. They would love to be there, but their banquet had already been planned.

M. Miville: We respect that there is a conflict and understand.

T. Young: I highlighted in the email that we would also be doing electronic communication.

M. Miville: That is part of the agenda to discuss tonight.

J. McHugh: They would still be able to come on Saturday.

T. Young: Correct, and they could still register and provide comments.

M. Miville: It was acknowledged in the message that we heard there was a conflict and let them know we had something here as well. When planning our date, JoAnn and Carolyn looked to see if there was any conflict and, at the time, there was not, but they will still be able to contribute.

C. Cronin: We worked on the postcards. All together we had 4,000. I have a lot left over if anyone would like to take some to place around town. We ordered two vinyl full size posters that are 22" x 34". I marched in the Old Home Day parade with Evelyn Horn. I don't think there was a huge turnout, but we got the word out and nearly everyone at the parade got a flyer. I was also at the booth at Old Home

Day and there was positive feedback. I just think people may be hesitant to commit that far ahead. I got two RSVP's and would like to work with Mike on keeping track of those. I started an excel spreadsheet for each of the days.

J. Duffy: Evelyn checked into the postage. It would cost .246 cents with a minimum of 200, as long as it doesn't weigh more than 3.3 oz. The size of the mail doesn't matter, just the weight. I was thinking instead of getting the list from the Assessing Department, which would be the list of property owners and many of those don't live in Hooksett, we could look at the school and town elections of those who voted and do a mailing for those people. I did not know if your system was capable of doing that.

M. Horne: It is not whether it is capable, it is whether that information can be handed over electronically.

J. Duffy: If we were to obtain that list, can we create a mailing list from it?

M. Horne: That is a PDF and would be a lot of work. The question would be if that information is available through the state data base to be sorted and handed out electronically. Based on looking at what we had, I would say electronic probably is not.

M. Miville: If we can't do it electronically that would it be a lot of work?

M. Horne: Yes. You could purchase a whole checklist. What is posted across the hall is available to get into an excel spreadsheet. You could have it in excel and compare. There is a way to efficiently turn it into a document that can be merged to do address labels.

J. Duffy: The thing with bulk mail is it doesn't get priority. You need a two week lead time versus regular mail.

M. Miville: We need to decide, and Dr. Shankle can help us decide for budget purposes, if we want to do a mailer.

M. Horne: In this political season would it get sufficient visibility? Also, those bulk mailers would sit there waiting to be delivered.

M. Miville: That is a good point. What is everyone else's perspective?

M. Barrett: Would it be better to hand deliver them around town to businesses?

T. Young: I thought we were going to talk to the school to see if we could send home flyers.

M. Miville: That is on our agenda. We first worked on the flyers, cut them, and got them together. The picture is one I took from Pinnacle Peak a couple of weeks ago. I stood at the elections in September from 8-6:30 and talked to a lot of citizens. They were all very receptive. I did not have a registration sheet with me, but I was using the opportunity to reach out to them. I placed flyers at all of the town

offices, the bulletin boards have a larger flyer. Carolyn hung the poster at the big bulletin board. There are small flyers on the front desk at the library as well as larger ones on their bulletin board. Carolyn ordered the posters. I attended the Planning Board meetings and spoke to them, spoke to Town Council twice, including last night, spoke to the School Board during public input and have another appointment with them on October 7, and spoke to the library trustees as well. Today, I went to Robie's to talk with Tom Walsh and dropped off some flyers. I have an appointment with Rich Girard for his radio show. The producer of his show was at the election. I would like to have some help with that and am looking forward to a positive experience. Thank you to Tom Young and Pepsi for the banner. We kept the Pepsi logo on it and it looks nice. We used that for the Old Home Day parade, used it for the booth, and I changed some of the wording and posted it in front yard here at Town Hall. While I was at Old Home Day, I went to a lot of the vendors that have businesses around town and solicited 14 businesses to provide donations and raffles.

J. Duffy: I forwarded you an email that we received from GE and they would like to talk to you about this.

M. Miville: That is great. The facebook page is up. The name is "Hooksett's Future Through Community Profile." Ashley and Sarah created it. We need people to go to it and "like" it. I would like to work out into the businesses to solicit things for the raffles and donations. Several businesses have said they would donate items and others have offered. So far we have:

Doug Rose – gift package and a project
David Pearl - Spotlight Video service
USA Subs – Two \$15 gift certificates
N-Step Dance Center - \$55 gift certificate towards tuition
Steve DeMasco's Shaolin Studios – gift certificate
Barry Cogan from Berkshire Hathaway Realty – food basket
Mathnasium
Steve Labbe from Paradigm Plumbing – a service for plumbing and heating
Tom Walsh from Robie's
Kathy Northrup – an item from Heritage Commission

I thought that perhaps we might be able to purchase something ourselves from Robie's, such as cookies, for Saturday morning. There are many other businesses that we can reach out to. Moving forward we need to focus on business aspects. Who would like to assist so we can coordinate that?

J. McHugh: Todd asked earlier what we wanted to do about the food. We should decide about the food first, so we don't ask the same businesses for food and a raffle item.

M. Miville: Exactly. What do we want to ask for from any particular business.

T. Rainier: I think we should have something other than pizza to draw the crowd and show them they are appreciated for their time. Something along the lines of salads and some type of a pasta tray. Pizza

could be a part of it, but the feedback was to have something else as well.

J. McHugh: We suggested pizza so that we did not add to the expense by having to hire someone for the kitchen.

T. Rainier: I am talking about pre-made food.

M. Horne: We also need to have something to accommodate special dietary needs and we should leave it to the food committee to handle the food.

M. Miville: There are also places like Panera Bread that have leftover breads at the end of the day that they give away.

J. McHugh: I will assist Todd with the solicitations.

T. Young: The food committee can also handle the plates, utensils and napkins.

The consensus was to solicit to local businesses for pasta, salad, and pizza to accommodate all age groups.

M. Miville: Did we decide on a mailer?

M. Horne: Do we have a budget?

D. Shankle: I think the Committee is made up of reasonable people, and if you think you need it we will provide for it.

J. McDonald: Is there a way to get it into people's hands so they will read it at this time of year, being so close to the elections?

J. McHugh: This event is in six weeks so they have to be sent out quickly. If we are not going to mail them, we should at least get them to organizations.

M. Horne: If you want them out we can get them out. Does someone know the condominium associations so we can put it in the mail distribution area?

J. Duffy: They meet once a month.

J. McDonald: They condo associations have websites.

J. Duffy: Personally, I do everything with social media. I don't know if a mailer is a good idea.

M. Miville: We had discussed the American Legion, HYAA, and several other organizations.

M. Horne: I have a lot that went out to the civic groups. I will take care of that.

M. Miville: I spoke at the School Board meeting. I wanted the School Board to be aware of the event

but knew certain things had to be approved by the superintendent and we had a brief discussion about that.

J. McHugh: I think he wanted to see the final copy so he could review it and then make his decision. It is strict in the policy of what you can send out. You cannot influence, but as long as he can review it and gives the okay I don't see it being a problem. Once it is okay with the superintendent they will distribute.

M. Miville: How many children do we need to pass these out to?

M. Ouellette: 1,500. That does not include high school. I can take one and get it to Dr. Littlefield. What size do you want to do?

J. McHugh: The 8 ½ x 11 draft of the press release turned into a flyer would be good.

M. Miville: They have specific high school bus stops. What if we reached out to the bus stops?

J. McDonald: Should we use the postcard or the letter?

J. McHugh: You can put some of the press release information onto the postcard. We could change the font.

J. McDonald: I cloned it from something UNH gave us.

T. Young: I would suggest changing the wording to continental breakfast.

J. McDonald: Carolyn, can take it, adapt it, and change any wording she would like. We don't have any mention of the Facebook or Twitter and that information has to be added.

S. Cowen: The acknowledgment at the bottom has to stay due to regulations.

M. Miville: What is everyone's preference for distribution from students to parents?

The consensus for distributions at the schools to be sent home to parents was to have an 8 ½ x 11 letter with the graphic, in a memorandum style, with a line saying “Please RSVP by November 1 so we can plan for food and let us know if you need child care or transportation for the event.”

S. Cowen: Was transportation decided on?

M. Miville: Our consensus was that we would help them find a ride.

S. Cowen: Should we put anything about that in this memorandum or not mention it?

M. Horne: We could say if you need transportation contact us. That way we are not making a promise but are having them let us know.

M. Miville: We will deal with transportation as it comes.

T. Young: My position on that was unless Town Council agrees to indemnify and protect us, I don't think anyone should be providing transportation.

M. Miville: I would rather not have it on this flyer. These are parents with cars who drop their children off to school.

M. Horne: We are talking about the ones that don't have transportation. If we want that demographic to be represented, I believe we should try to work that out.

M. Miville: Okay. If we get any requests we will work it out.

C. Cronin: Going back to schools, we were talking about how to reach high school students. It occurred to me that last year I did a project for the School Board and if we wanted to pursue this, with permission, I have a list of every high school student from last year and their addresses. The seniors are gone and I don't have freshman but I have sophomores and juniors. I don't have names, just addresses so we could do a mailing.

The consensus is to do a distribution to the local schools, with permission from the superintendent.

M. Miville: I would ask that Joanne and/or Maura could approach Dr. Littlefield with our needs.

M. Ouellette: I can work with you to redo the flyer, get it to them, and get it distributed once it is approved.

M. Miville: The distribution of flyer's, a couple of things on the bulletin board, some flyers on the desks, and using the videotaping abilities to live stream on the event day. It would have to go though the school board website.

D. Shankle: We can put a link to it for a live stream through the town website that would take them to the school website.

S. Cowen: Marc, to your point about using digital connections, if you can live stream it, I am wondering if there is a way people can respond or input as they are seeing the live stream.

M. Horne: We would have to have someone there that is managing the hooksettsfuture@gmail.com.

M. Miville: I went to the library trustees meeting and they are very technologically advanced. Their feedback was to do texts and twitter. They said to get the live stream going.

S. Cowen: If my administrative assistant can come that night, she could help with the tweeting and the live stream.

M. Miville: That would be great. Will we be live streaming the large room? I asked Mr. Pearl, who is

in the audience, to video tape as well because I was not aware of the extent of the videotaping from UNH Cooperative.

S. Cowen: We are not sure of that either.

M. Miville: Mr. Pearl video tapes a lot of meetings for us in town. He could go into the small groups and get some footage from those.

S. Cowen: Mr. Pearl, do you find that that the videotaping makes people uncomfortable?

David Pearl (Spotlight Video): It is more to show interaction and the number of people. It would only be snip-its, not discussions.

M. Miville: As far as media contacts and press releases to The Banner and Union Leader and Channel 9, if we could get a story out on that prior to the event that would be good.

M. Horne: Marc, I think you had offered to do one editorial and Maura offered to do another. It is just a matter of Joan and I coordinating that.

M. Miville: It would be nice if we could reach out to The Hooksett Banner and have a reporter here and have them do a story in advance of the event, but it seems as if we have to send them things now, as opposed to them seeking out information, because they do not have the manpower.

M. Horne: If we could get something in writing we could get it to them. Joan and I will work with what we have for the press releases.

M. Miville: I am willing to sit with one of the reporters.

J. McDonald: I can call them tomorrow and see who is in charge.

M. Miville: Dr. Shankle, I asked Christine if she thought the tax newsletter would be going out prior to Nov. 7. She thought it would.

D. Shankle: If she thought so that is possible. She is the one working on it.

M. Miville: She thought it would go out to the property owners the last week of October. If this could go out in the tax newsletter that would be great.

D. Shankle: Sometimes the state holds it up. It depends when they get the information from the other districts. If we can we will.

M. Miville: Could you provide us a column in the Town Administrator column.

D. Shankle: Yes, I can do that if you send me something. I can put it in exactly as you give it to me or I can place my own wording on it.

M. Miville: I believe we are on the community calendar and we are making connections with town organizations.

M. Horne: As things go out we won't duplicate it.

M. Miville: If we could reach of to the Chamber of Commerce that would be great.

M. Horne: I can ask when they are meeting.

M. Miville: I think our biggest expense would be the flyers and we need to pay a fee for the maintenance person at the school.

T. Young: There is the possibility we may have to pay for some food items.

M. Miville: We need to pay a fee for the maintenance person at the school.

M. Ouellette: It is \$181.00 for Saturday. We don't need one for Friday.

M. Miville: Registration is a big thing.

M. Horne: I think that is something the full time staff can do and keep a spreadsheet of who signed up. We can have registrations forwarded to you.

T. Young: Are pre-registrations necessary? I have a fear if you say you need to pre-register people won't come.

M. Horne: We can request they register.

J. McDonald: But we need to plan.

M. Horne: Based on the ones who RSVP, we will get an idea.

S. Cowen: I can look into what other towns have done and there might be some alternatives regarding registration.

M. Miville: We will welcome anyone who walks in. The only concern is the food preparation.

T. Young: The last two weeks before is when people start to plan.

M. Barrett: I don't think they all pre-register.

D. Shankle: As you get people registering, it might make sense to create an email list and start sending something out every week to keep them included, and they may tell others and keep them connected.

M. Horne: Could we attach the minutes to facebook or link to the town website?

J. McHugh: What about a mass email?

M. Horne: How many people are signed up for the town website? I like Dr. Shankle's idea, to keep those people who register in the loop.

M. Miville: Mike, if you could set up a town distribution list through emails that would be great.

M. Horne: I will work on that.

M. Miville: The first few minutes of the event would include the welcome. Who would do that? Dr. Shankle, will you be at this event?

D. Shankle: I will be at the event, but I think others should do the welcome.

M. Miville: I can do part of the introduction and we can ask a few others. I spoke with Kathy Northrup today and was wondering what she needed to do.

S. Cowen: I will contact her.

M. Miville: We have a videographer, but need a still photographer.

M. Miville: We have a few people who are interested in being small group facilitators.

S. Cowen: You have to have a good idea of who these people will be by the next time we meet. We need some people to facilitate and some people to transcribe.

D. Shankle: Can I ask the the type of people you are looking for.

S. Cowen: We will have a training on October 27. We need some people to facilitate and some to scribe. It needs to be someone comfortable leading a small group discussion and drawing people out who might not be saying anything or discouraging someone who may be saying more than the other people. They need to be people who are comfortable in a group situation. The key thing to remember is if they are a facilitator or scribe they cannot give their opinions.

J. McHugh: Dave, when you did the high school forum, do you still have the names of those people they recruited to be facilitators for that forum? Those people are already trained.

D. Pearl: Yes I do. We were able to fill in some of the scribes with high school kids.

S. Cowen: This could be a role that high school kids could contribute to.

M. Miville: I have five names and we have a few more that we can ask. The training will be on October 27.

M. Miville: Dr. Shankle, I need to accommodate the Budget Committee around the Steering Committee.

D. Shankle: I can accommodate that.

M. Miville: Are you available Oct. 16 or 30?

D. Shankle: I will check my schedule.

M. Miville: We could put poster boards on bulletin boards at stores around town.

C. Cronin: If you want to let me know which places will allow you to post the flyers and the size you want I can print those.

J. McHugh: We could put the vinyl one at Donati.

M. Miville: That would be a great idea.

C. Cronin: Is there a way to protect it?

J. McHugh: There is an overhang at the concession stand.

M. Miville: If everyone can make a list of places you want to go, let me know.

J. McDonald: Carolyn will you send a copy of the finished flyer.

C. Cronin: Yes. Do you want the town seal and UNH seal with their disclaimer on the letter to the schools?

M. Miville: Yes. Can we shrink the picture and change the font.

M. Ouellette: I can help with that.

J. McHugh motioned to adjourn. Seconded by M. Ouellette. Motion carried unanimously.

Meeting adjourned at 7:38 pm.

Respectfully submitted by,

**AnnMarie White
Recording Clerk**