



BELLINGHAM PLANNING BOARD

6 MECHANIC STREET
BELLINGHAM, MASSACHUSETTS 02019
(508) 966-0991; FAX (508) 966-5844
PlanningBoard@bellinghamma.org

June 28, 2001 Meeting Minutes

Present at the meeting:

Roland R. Laprade (RRL), Chair
Richard V. Dill (RVD), Vice Chair
Briand J. Sutherland (BJS)
Steve D. Choinere (SDC)
Edward W. Guzowski (EWG)
Glenn C. Wocjik (GCW), Alternate

Other officials: Paige Duncan (PED), Town Planner
Thomas Guerin (TG), Fire Safety Officer
Lt. James Haughey, Police Safety Officer

Called meeting to order at 7:00p.m.

- 81-P, Buffy Road, even trade of land, foundation is too close to the property line.

RRL Sounds pretty straight forward.

RVD: Motion to approve 81-P for Buffy Road

SDC: Second, vote: 5-0 approved.

- Minutes:

BJS: Motion to approve May 10th, 24th, June 7th minutes.

EWG: Second, vote: 5-0, approved.

- Bellingham Lumber Site Plan, Lake St.: We're changing the roof; there will be no change in the foot print of the building, but because we're changing the existing structure, it becomes a site plan and the building inspector sent us to you.

SDC: Motion to approve the site plan review for Bellingham Lumber.

BJS: Second, vote: 5-0, approved.

PED: Is that your copy? We need a copy for the office and we'll stamp yours approved.

- Old Business: Signing of IDC Decision

BJS: Mr. Chairman, I will not be participating in any discussion regarding this decision.

RRL: Thank you, Mr. Sutherland, that's fine.

RVD: I didn't know we were signing this tonight. It wasn't on the agenda.

PED: It was in the review packets.

RVD: I didn't get a chance to pick mine up, I'd like to be able to go over this.

RRL: Well, there's nothing we can do. I apologize gentlemen; you'll have to come back.

PED: Rick won't be at the next meeting.

RVD: Well, I might be able to be back for the next meeting. I have to discuss it with my wife. I'll let you know.

- Planner Report: Paige Duncan

Thanks to monies coming in reimbursing advertising costs, we have been able to get a new computer, new scanner, new supplies, the office is in great shape.

Goal: zoning due on warrant for town meeting by 7/13. I've called Braintree on the traffic documentation, spoke to Bruce Campbell. We have August 23rd open.

RRL: It says, should we cancel? I think that would be a good night to get to the zoning public hearings.

There was discussion regarding advertising for the Woonsocket Call. Rather than billing the applicant and collecting afterwards, the applicant will be responsible for paying the Call the night of the public hearing. RD suggested putting it on the form.

It was discussed that the agenda would be put on the web-site and that the Board would continue to advertise in both papers.

SDC: I spoke with Stuart regarding as-builts on the foundations and having certified as-builts of all underground utilities and foundations before construction starts. He said that was no problem.

- Wayne's Small Engine, Paine St., Development Plan review

Bill Halsing with Land Planning representing Wayne's Small Engine, most issues were worked out except Zoning Special Permit. We have here a copy of the approval of the Special permit from the Zoning Board of Appeals.

BJS: Motion to approve the Development Plan for Wayne's Small Engine.

SDC: Second. Approved: 5-0.

- Highridge Estates, Lake St., Definitive Subdivision

Definitive Plan

(Richard Dill abstains and leaves the board to sit in audience as he is an abutter.)

Attorney Eric Anderberg: The Definitive plan submitted on 4/13 complies fully to the Special Permit. The hearing opened on May 1-th. Mr. Jones feels and I agree that we've done everything Mr. DiMartino has requested. We've agreed to do sewer on Lake Street through gravity. We've offered off-site improvements. There is no policy or design issue. It's down to the nitty gritty on the engineering for the pump station. The 90 day period for approval expires before your next meeting. We expect you to take a vote tonight. I'd be happy to draft a decision. Mr. Jones and Mr. Pavlovitch from GCG Associates are here.

Steve Pavlovitch: Design Engineers, 213 acre parcel, 90 lots, 1 conventional 2 family, 2 conventional A & R lots, 87 lots throughout the site. 100 acres – 58% deeded over to the town. There are two roadways, the first 7,000 feet long, Highridge road, and a small 500' inter-connection road to ease up traffic coming from the site.

Changes:

1. Extended diversion channel around last lot so water would be diverted to water channel.
2. Easement was 15' extended to 35' proposed 10 parking spots with enough area for up to 20 for parking for public Boy Scout land.
3. Sewer pump station by Peter's River. Sewer on Lake Street from one end of property to other.
4. Agreed to fix any drainage problems.

Mr. Arcand's driveway has a 12" pipe, we've proposed replacing it with a 24" pipe and any associated work, subject to conservation approval. We feel we've answered Paige Duncan's, Don DiMartino's and BDO's comments.

SDC: Along with Roland's land, there was also a Deborah Couture with land that needed to be repaired.

T.Jones: We don't know what we're going to do yet. We're going before Con. Comm.

BJS: Could you show the detail going up to the Boy Scout land. The parking, 5' path, foot bridge going over the culvert.

EWG: The town's people have concerns about the availability to hook up to sewerage and drainage.

TJones: It was suggested Don DiMartino look at putting a sewer pumping station on Railroad Street. Today he was looking at what we had planned originally. If the pumping station was going to be on Rail Road, I would provide service to Lake Street. Today, Don asked if it could go back to where it was originally on my property. I said yes, it's the best I could do.

EWG: People will be able to hook up to sewerage on Lake Street? I understand Railroad Street is all set. Is drainage all set?

TJ: We worked with the drainage consultant and Don DiMartino to come up with something that works. There will be no extra water from my development. *

S. Pavlovitch: Basically, BMP, Best Management Practices are in the works. The concern was the corner of Lake and Railroad.

SP: We have a drain line going down Railroad Street we have no catch basins proposed. He requested two. We could add another subject to Conservation approval. The booster station and sewer pump plans have been over-nighted to the drainage consultant.

RRL: I know a question many people have coming up will be on traffic on Pulaski and Lake Street. Don DiMartino and Bruce Campbell say the intersection is going to be looked at. \$30,000 would be better spent going to other things he's listed. The state is looking at this intersection. If the traffic count warrants a light, it will be installed.

PED: If not, Mass. State law does not allow installation of traffic lights unless warranted. There's no way on the town's part to expedite the study.

TJ: On the \$30,000, Don DiMartino and I discussed extending the sewers 300' and installing 12" water mains. He's pushing the sewer and drainage.

SDC: Your only looking at 1% growth per year.

James Haughey, Safety Officer: We were led to believe there was going to be a traffic light. Now they're looking at a blinking light. We're already looking past the year 2017 on the study projections.

SDC: I thought growth was conservative for 2%, Phil always said 4%.

RRL: I think it warrants a traffic light.

PED: It goes by hard numbers.

Mr. Kelly, traffic consultant: Volumes have to be met for 8 hours, 500-750 for 8 hours, there are peak hour warrants, and 4 hour warrants. Some of the numbers we counted in front of the site, over 100 per hour, fit the warrants.

RRL: Did I read the level of service in peak hours was an F?

SDC: It's an E now, it's going to be an F.

RRL: Alright.

SDC: I had one more question about what would happen to the water and hydraulic pumping station? How would it affect the water?

SP: If you use some of the money to replace the 6" with a 12", water pressure would be increased. Center Street is 10".

T.Jones: That's why Don's looking for me to take a couple of thousand feet for me to go lot line to lot line and get rid of the 6" main. That's why he wants to put that stretch in.

SDC: Tom, we have hydrants on Center, is the pressure okay?

TG: The larger pipes will increase volume, but won't change pressure.

Howard Burr: when they hook the 12" main to the 6" transit to it, there will be some major water breaks.

T.Jones: Don Dimartino will have to isolate the pipe from my site.

RRL: Don would be the one to decide that.

Michael Burr: We were talking about Cross Street and Lake Street don't connect.

TG: The hydrant that come through doesn't connect.

Mr. Burr: You don't plan on looping that do you?

T. Jones: No, we're extending it even further.

TG: The project is going to loop the water from Lake to the Burr's. No circulation of water from Bellingham Lumber to the other end.

Richard Dill, 2 Claire's Way, also a member of the Planning Board: I'm aware of the improvements for Arcand's property on the plan, is there any reason Mrs. Couture's, my sister-in-law wasn't on the plan, so the Building Inspector had something to look at?

T.Jones: The Arcand's were put on the plan. Claire's Way has a 24" pipe. Roland has a 12". I'm committed to fixing it.

RVD: Where is that? Is it on the plan? In an agreement could it be indicated on the plans?

Debbie Burr, Lake Street: Can you show us where the catch basins will go?

T. Jones: In front of house #290, but we were told there was a pipe here that overflows.

Mr. Burr: Is there an easement?

SP: If the whole pipe is in the town's right of way, they don't need an easement.

Carolyn DeCasse, 340 Lake St.: What's going to happen to the water from 346 Lake St?

SP: There's a 15" cross pipe that's clogged, that needs to be cleaned out.

RRL: Mr. Jones is only responsible for his development and seeing that it won't create any more water run-off, not for the drainage problems on Lake Street that are pre-existing. He has been more than willing to go beyond what is in his realm to work with the town and the people of that street.

Debbie Burr: Can they open that up? It will create a huge mess if they do?

T.Jones: I have no problems doing anything to deal with drainage. If we can get with Don. If there's more extensive work to be done, I have no problem with that. ✱

Debbie Burr: Where does the Board stand with these problems.

RRL: It's a DPW issue.

EWG: Mr. Chairman, if the town took the land they were supposed to, Mr. Jones would have agreed to fixing the drainage problems on Lake Street as it was written in the special permit.

TJ: I have no problem adding catch basins or directing water a certain way, but it's up to Con. Comm. to let me know what I can and can't do.

Michael Burr, 336 Lake Street: My parents are going to have water problems. The family has been in this town since 1840. There are water problems on that road. Why can't they just direct the water to Peter's River.

RRL: Mr. Jones what was the problem with doing what Mr. Burr suggested?

T.Jones: I really don't know.

Mr. Burr: If Tim's willing to do it without all the easements and crosses.

S. Pavlovitch: Anything we do with drainage is basically a conservation issue. We'd be significantly increasing the water somewhere else. You can't directly discharge into a river. You have to take out 80% of the solids and sediments. You can't just run water without a major study.

T.Jones. There could be a solution we could berm and let it go naturally. I don't know if there's a difference.

RRL: The problem is basically the issues are water. Conservation and DPW issues. The plan is adhered to the rules and regs. of the Planning Board.

Mike Burr: I'd like to have it in writing if there's any additional increase in water that you're going to take care of it.

T. Jones: Mike, I would agree to say if something else can be done, I'll do it.

Mr. Anderberg: Con. Comm. Isn't going to allow any extra water running off.

BJS: I'm not an expert in drainage. It says there's a way to deal with the run off. If the blocked pipe isn't benefiting you, the DPW is taking a corrective measure. I understand your concern.

RRL: He's handling his subdivision. These issues are Conservation issues, according to our rules and regulations, he's followed them.

Carole Burr, 72 RailroadSt.: So the town doesn't care that people have been residents who have lived here forever. For you to sit there and say it's not your issue is ridiculous. It's your issue. At tax time and election time it's your issue.

PED: I would suggest we make a condition of approval that Tim Jones, Don DiMartino and Con. Comm. Sit down with these folks. Get everyone in the same room and work out these design issues. ✱

BJS: We can write it subject to Con. Comm. Approval.

BJS: Move to accept the High Ridge Definitive Subdivision with conditions listed in decision. Paige Duncan will write the decision.

SDC: Second. Vote: 4-0, motion passes.

- Maple Brook Commons Condominium, So. Maple St., Development Plan review

Public Hearing opened at 9:15.

Endre Hollosi, engineer for Benchmark Engineering

The property is off South Maple Street and Blackstone.

The original Special Permit had 3 amendments, one in 89, 97 and 99. We were requested to come back each phase requesting the board to approve the first phase.

RRL: How many buildings are left to be built?

EH: Total, 33. We are asking for 5 buildings at this point.

RRL: This condo association is separate?

EH: Yes.

RRL: What happens if Phase 3 doesn't get sewer?

RVD: Have all these things been met according to Phil?

EH: State law is, in a new project and sewer goes by, you have to tie in.

TG: If sewer goes by an existing house, they may tie in, unless septic fails, then they have to tie in.

RVD: If you have a condition in a Special Permit that isn't adhered to, how is the Special Permit still valid?

PED: So, whatever the outcome of Phase 3, what are you agreeing to?

EH: We agreed to accommodate their needs. If we need the sewer, I'm sure Fafard will build. I haven't seen a single project that he has built in Bellingham. He hasn't built in Bellingham.

PED: What about the technical items.

EWG: On the last thing we did, with zoning not conforming.

RRL: This plan complies with current zoning?

EH: This time.

EWG: And your going to pay to re-surface Maplebrook all the way down.

EH: If we pave it after we build.

PED: Can you do the binder and finish within 2 years of the binder?

EH: Breaking ground.

RVD: Finished coat on road has to be in within 2 years of breaking ground.

EH: Station 17 to Blackstone Street to Station 41, approximately.

RVD: Phil's concerns, Don's and your concerns have been met and satisfied. I'll make a motion to approve the site plan for Maplebrook Condominiums.

SDC: I have a question about as-builts, on foundations and utilities of the building.

EH: For sewer and water, we have to have as-builts for DPW, it's not that big a deal to get one for you.

EWG: Your also willing to, if and only if, the sewer is approved Phase 3, to pay for a pumping station available for use.

EH: I'm willing to work with him, but would like to know the size of the pump station.

EWG: That's if Phase 3 passes.

BJS: Second, and I have a question, when will you be making improvements to existing roadways?

PED: What's your construction schedule?

EH: Couple of months. We have to meet with Con. Comm. to go through silt fence and erosion control.

RRL: Construction starting in 2 months, or patching the road by 9/1.

PED: What about build out on these units?

RVD: Withdraw motion.

BJS: Withdraw second.

RVD: Can we just put full buildout of 20 units with in 2 years?

RVD: Motion to approve Maplebrook Commons Site Plan with conditions listed in decision by Paige Duncan.

BJS: Second. Vote: 5-0, passes.

- Antron Engineering, Mechanic Street, bond release discussion

RVD: We have no problem releasing money after the work is done.

RRL: The way it's always been done in the past is the work is done and the money is released after. We can't release the money before the work is done. That's the surety of it.

Discussion regarding the consultant, Mr. Phil Herr and how he will be billed for the next 2 quarters, either as a consultant or on a quarterly basis.

BJS: Motion to adjourn.

RVD: Second. Vote: 5-0, passes. Meeting closes at 10:15

Minutes Accepted on: _____
(date)

Roland Laprade

Richard Dill

Edward Guzowski

Steven Choiniere

Brian Sutherland

COPY